Mike South

  • bernard_snoodyk
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 9, 2008
      Hi Guys

      I would like you to know that our friend Mike South is due to enter
      hospital today for some serious surgery.

      I am sure that you would all share our deepest thoughts with Mike and
      wish him a speedy and full recovery.

      perhaps it would also be rather nice if we could all post at least one
      photo of our 32nd or 35th scale models over the next 3 weeks to ensure
      that Mike remains in touch with our fabulous hobby whilst incapacitated.

      Bernard
    • Claus Nielsen
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 11, 2008
        I'm sorry to hear that things got so bad. I wish Mike all the best and
        I'm sure his family and nearest friends will support him to the best of
        their abilities.

        As I'm such a slow worker I have posted an old photo in a folder I have
        made in the photos' section. The folder is named `A number of greetings
        to Mike S' and should be the first folder you see when you open the
        photo section (the `A' takes care of that).

        Post your 'get well soon-post card' as well, to make sure Mike will get
        some well earned attention from us.

        Claus, Copenhagen
      • Henrik Laurell
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 4, 2008
          Anyone heard about Mike South ?

          He was to go through some surgery, but then I haven't heard anything more (or missed..)

          /Henrik Laurell

        • bernard_snoodyk
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 9, 2008
            Hi Guys

            It was great to hear that our friend Mike South is OK.

            Whilst still in hospital at this time, the good news is that he is on
            the mend and expected to be home in a couple of weeks time.

            On behalf of all Narrow Gaugers we wish him a speedy recovery and a
            safe return to these pages.

            Bernard
          • Henrik Laurell

              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 14, 2008
                I believe Mike and others have mentioned using Bmann trolly underframes
                for drive units for small industrial diesels and that there were body
                kits available for just such a project. Are they still available and
                from whom? My 3/8n3 layout is to the point where it is need of some
                new motive power and I have a trolly available. Has anybody used this
                chassie for propulsion? My two diesels based on Life Like chassis are
                a little too big but run very well.
                Vincent Bradley, Hidden Valley
              • Claus Nielsen
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 24, 2008
                  Bernard and all:
                  Nice to know that Mike is getting better. Let us hope that he is making
                  major progress in his recovery.

                  I have posted another postcard that I hope he will enjoy. It is placed
                  in the photo section in the file 'A number of greetings to Mike S.' See
                  the postcard on
                  http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/FS32NGModelrail/photos/view/202f?b=2

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 24, 2008
                    Yes, it is good to know that Mike is getting better. I hope he will be again posting here soon.

                                       Daniel

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 22, 2009
                      Hi Guys

                      as you will all be aware our good friend Mike South is very ill.

                      to help cheer him up it would be a nice gesture if we all send him our very best wishes and perhaps some photographs of our latests model creations.

                      I know that Mike would greatly value this.

                      Bernard
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 28, 2009
                        Bernard:

                             Do you have any news from Mike? How is he doing?

                             Thank you.

                                                 Daniel

                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 25, 2009
                          Dear Members

                          It with sadness that I advise that our friend Mike South died peacefully surrounded by his family on Monday August 24.

                          Mike will always be rembered as a champion of 32nd scale model railroading, not only as an excellent model builder in his own right, but also as sponsor of many in promoting our hobby. It was through Mike's encouragement, sponsorship and enthusiasm for exceptional model building that many of us can look back at the impact he made over the years. He will always be remembered for this.

                          Notwithstanding his debilitating illness during the past 18 months Mike found time and good spirit to encourage our model building efforts in its many forms.

                          we extend our sincere condolences to Mike's wife Jane and family during this time of loss.

                          Bernard
                        • William Uffelman
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 25, 2009
                            Too sad!

                            Bill Uffelman
                            Las Vegas NV

                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 25, 2009
                              Bernard,
                              Thank you for the news, however sad. Now I can only regret not having made that last telephone call to wish Mike well with my own voice.

                              Thanks again and;

                              Best Regards,

                              Ray
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 25, 2009
                                Bernard:

                                       Thank you.
                                       Sad.
                                       Will miss him.

                                                                Daniel

                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 26, 2009
                                  Most sad! He will be greatly missed.

                                  thanks for telling us.

                                  /Henrik

                                  regards
                                  __________________________________
                                  /Henrik Laurell, www.Laurells.net

                                  On Aug 26, 2009 04:29 "bernard_snoodyk" <bernard_snoodyk@...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > Dear Members
                                  >
                                  > It with sadness that I advise that our friend Mike South died
                                  > peacefully surrounded by his family on Monday August 24.
                                  >
                                  > Mike will always be rembered as a champion of 32nd scale model
                                  > railroading, not only as an excellent model builder in his own right,
                                  > but also as sponsor of many in promoting our hobby. It was through
                                  > Mike's encouragement, sponsorship and enthusiasm for exceptional model
                                  > building that many of us can look back at the impact he made over the
                                  > years. He will always be remembered for this.
                                  >
                                  > Notwithstanding his debilitating illness during the past 18 months
                                  > Mike found time and good spirit to encourage our model building
                                  > efforts in its many forms.
                                  >
                                  > we extend our sincere condolences to Mike's wife Jane and family
                                  > during this time of loss.
                                  >
                                  > Bernard

                                • paul
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 26, 2009
                                    That is very sad news. When I was researching the New Zealand Army WWI
                                    Light Railway unit Mike was very supportive and located a number of
                                    information sources for me in addition to suggesting several different lines
                                    of inquiry. He really went out of his way to assist me and all this for
                                    someone who he previously had had no contact with.

                                    I will miss him and his great modelling.

                                    Paul Napier
                                  • Vince Bradley
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 26, 2009
                                      His loss will be felt by all of us.

                                      Vincent Bradley
                                      Quality Assurance Manager
                                      Management Representative
                                      513-674-2547
                                      vince.bradley@...

                                      On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 10:29 PM,

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 26, 2009
                                        I am saddened by the news of Mike South's passing. I did not know Mr South however, any time someone leaves this realm, it is felt by many others. My sympathy goes to to Mr South's family and friends and I am sure he will be missed by the modeling community and the fellows on this site. God bless.                 Woodie C Greene

                                        > It with sadness that I advise that our friend Mike South died peacefully surrounded by his family on Monday August 24.
                                        >
                                        > Mike will always be rembered as a champion of 32nd scale model railroading, not only as an excellent model builder in his own right, but also as sponsor of many in promoting our hobby.  It was through Mike's encouragement, sponsorship and enthusiasm for exceptional model building that many of us can look back at the impact he made over the years.  He will always be remembered for this.
                                        >
                                        > Notwithstanding his debilitating illness during the past 18 months Mike found time and good spirit to encourage our model building efforts in its many forms.
                                        >
                                        > we extend our sincere condolences to Mike's wife Jane and family during this time of loss.
                                        >
                                        > Bernard

                                      • Evan James
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 26, 2009
                                          For some unknown reason Mike took a liking to me, and we corresponded regularly over the years. However, these died away over the past month or so as his illness returned. Like probably everyone who knew him, I have regrets I didn't contact him as often as I should have over the past month, but I think it is a measure of his "mana" (a Maori word which covers a wide variety of meanings centreing around a person's greatness and standing among his peers), that his passing has touched everyone in his chosen hobby, no matter where they live in the world.

                                          evan
                                        • kim marsh
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 26, 2009

                                            the hobby has lost a great patron
                                            rest in peace mike south
                                            kim marsh
                                            For some unknown reason Mike took a liking to me, and we corresponded regularly over the years. However, these died away over the past month or so as his illness returned. Like probably everyone who knew him, I have regrets I didn't contact him as often as I should have over the past month, but I think it is a measure of his "mana" (a Maori word which covers a wide variety of meanings centreing around a person's greatness and standing among his peers), that his passing has touched everyone in his chosen hobby, no matter where they live in the world.

                                            evan

                                          • Franck Tavernier
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Aug 30, 2009
                                              My sincere condolences to Mike's family and friends.

                                              Very sad news!

                                              Franck

                                              --
                                              http://public.fotki.com/FranckTavernier/