Re: 'Crow on Show'

  • Mike South
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6 8:02 AM
      Good Morning Claus and all other FS32NGers,

      Please don't be intimidated by the quantity or quality of the locos, for I myself can claim very little credit for them, except perhaps as 'Project Manager'. More than 15 years ago I decided that, due to my crazy 'day job' (that often stretched well into the night) and the fact that it often took me away from home for extended periods of time, the only way I was ever going to get any quality modelling really accomplished was to enlist professional help. My own scratch building of rolling stock and scenery is 'competent', but facilities for model loco building in - say - Russian villages out on the steppes or in Far Eastern 'hotels' (dubious) are usually decidedly limited (not to mention the problems of getting the models back home intact and through Customs both ways). By sheer serendipity it has been my great good fortune to correspond with and in many cases later meet some of the very best professional model builders and painters of my generation. Without fail they have shown great skill and patience in translating my often eccentric wishes into beautiful 3-D masterpieces. No, this is not a 'cheap' route to go and neither should it be. My 'hobby' is, after all, what puts bread and butter on their tables. As I have noted elsewhere, my way of financing all this was to take on extra work - not always jobs that I was particularly excited to undertake at the time, but nonetheless a sincere 'thanks for the money' to my clients, for what I [hopefully] learnt and for the many fascinating people and projects I have been privileged to work with and on.

      More than a few individuals are to 'blame' for my following this eclectic course of action, but high upon the list of 'most guilty parties' must rank professional modelmakers Vic Green, Roy Link, Paul Berntsen and Ian Rathbone, as well as my ever patient neighbour and semi-professional military figure sculptor Tom Sime. And - of course - the entire 1970's crew of the London-based 'Merioneth Railway Society' (its all YOUR fault :-) There are, oas you might reasonably suspect, many additional players on many other continents, to all of whom I say a warm 'thank you' for your time, talents, patience and inspiration. Truly 'narrow gauge model railways' are a wonderful hobby, involving an amazing and delightful cast of characters worldwide - a sort of underground 'Modelling Mafia' of the very best and kindest people, from all walks of life and of all manner of occupations and circumstance, but interesting every one.

      How long has it taken me to assemble this collection? My first 1/32 scale, 3/4" gauge loco and the 'Crowsnest' diorama itself came from Roy Link in August 1988 and, on average, I have added 1-point-5 locos per year. By sheer serendipity I tumbled across Ray Lantz on the web at a time when he was changing gauges - but not scales - from 2' to 3', and thus - over time - purchased from him some four unpainted scratchbuilt 1/32 on 16.5mm gauge locos built by Paul Berntsen and himself (yes, they all had to be converted to 3/4" gauge to match Roy's loco). Thus the die was cast... Meantime I have myself been building most of the rolling stock as well as building additional diorama units. Indeed, on one particularly memorable trip down the Volga from Moscow to Astrakhan on the Caspian Sea in the end most of the Russian freighter's crew ended up helping run a wooden 4-wheel model wagon building 'production line', and this at the height of the Cold War!

      So 'chequebook modelling' to supplement one's own production can be a fruitful route to follow, particularly if arthritis, heart attacks and now esophageal cancer slows down one's own efforts. But what a wonderful group of people I have been privileged to work with and the delight that their models have brought to me, my family, and all those who have come into contact with their masterworks at train shows and even in my office (where Roy's 'original & best' Crowsnest Tramway diorama lives most of the time) must surely make it all worth while. :-) :-)

      Best wishes (and thanks) to all,

      Mike South
      Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    • Evan James
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7 3:58 AM
        That's a mean cancer Mike - how's the treatment going.

        evan

        --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, Mike South <mikesouth@...>