Suppliers Sought.

  • peter853435
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 28, 2008
      Hi folks,

      Having accidently found your group, and joined, i need to ask a
      question, the answer to wich has eluded me for the last year or two.

      But first let me explane my intrest in narrow gauge.

      For many years I have been a member of the Gauge One Model Railway
      Association (G1MRA) here in the UK, it's popular scale being 3/8th's
      of an inch to One foot, or 1/32nd. And with a strong intrest in
      Mexican railroads, run a garden track, set up as a ficticious union
      and interchange railroad between the US and Mexico, just south of the
      border.

      So i planned to add a 3 Foot gauge line next to the standard gauge,
      then hit a brick wall --- I cant find any suppliers of 32on3.

      So the obvious question, can any member help, point me in the right
      direction etc.

      Thanks in advance,

      Peter Bird.
      Lincolnshire,
      England. UK.
    • Lennart Elg
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 28, 2008
        --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "peter853435"
        <peter.frederickbird@...> wrote:
        > So i planned to add a 3 Foot gauge line next to the standard gauge,
        > then hit a brick wall --- I cant find any suppliers of 32on3.
        >
        > So the obvious question, can any member help, point me in the right
        > direction etc.

        Peter,
        Simply speaking, there are no suppliers in that scale. The Narrow Gauge
        & Short Line Gazette has run a couple of articles over the years, but
        they all seem to come from the same pair of modellers. What I have seen
        involves 1/32n40" - using O scale trucks under scratchbuilt car bodies.
        The main problem seems to be (1) the supply of 1/32 scale parts is
        limited, and mainly aimed at diesel era std gauge, and (2) there are no
        reasonably priced steam locomotives to kitbash into 1/32n40, so any
        locos I have seen have been diesels..

        /LennartElg
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 28, 2008
          Peter-actually, there are many items available for US pattern narrow gauge use. First-old US autos: die cast models from MOTOR MINT and DIECAST DIRECT-antique autos and firetrucks and pickups, etc. Auto kits from LINDBERG and some old AIRFIX autos that are useable. Don't forget some fine 1:35 kits available in the military areas-old GMC trucks, JEEPS and the like. Searching along these parameters will get you in business. There are some window & door castings available in this scale, also from some of the military companies. Larger O (1:48) details can be used also. Searching will turn up many more details and kits that can be used for a US scene. Yes, locomotives are not available in 3/8n3 but look for items that can be kit bashed and "up scaled" to this scale. I am building "extra narrow gauge" in 3/8 using available On30 locos built up to scale and available trucks and wheels also. "South of the border" modeling is a haven for freelancers, the rivet counters can stay away since almost anything is "prototypical" and fair game. I rebuilt a Bachmann On30 2-6-0 into a standard gauge O scale locomotive that with a little more work could be "upscaled" to make a fine little 3/8n3 mogul...which I may do in the future. Available O scale wheels and trucks (bogies) can be reguaged to 3 feet or left as is since there were many "bastard" gauge lines in Mexico and south Texas. Matter of fact, the Rio Grande Railroad (chartered long before the famous line in Colorado) in Texas was 42" gauge!
          I feel that you could build anything you want and somewhere it would be prototype.
                good luck,    W C Greene

[...]

        • Evan & Correne James
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 28, 2008
            In New Zealand 9mm scale (1/34) is a main stream scale for modelling
            New Zealand's 3ft 6in gauge trains on 0 gauge track. There is a
            thriving cottage industry catering for the scale, with high quality
            lost wax brass and white metal castings for scratch building, as well
            as wheels, passenger and freight car trucks, and some kitsets of NZ
            prototype wagons and locos. One of the suppliers - Von Strapp Forgings
            Co-Operative has a catalogue in the Files areas of this group -
            however, no photos.

            evan

          • dallas3bvm@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 28, 2008
              Nine Mill Scale Products in New Zealand makes some nice 1/34 scale detail parts -- I've purchased a variety of those with excellent service.

              You might contact Nelson Kennedy of Nine Mill for some tips -- or suggestions on suitable drive units.  They've chose 1/34 scale to represent 3'6" gauge on O scale mechanisms.

              This page shows some modelers' work in this scale:

              Some of the items has a distinctive regional look, but I've ordered quite a number of "universal" items like headlights, whistles, stanchions, etc.

              Actually took a little time out and worked on my 1/35 scale layout last night ... still gotta get back to working on my 2-4-0 to go with that!  (2' gauge)

              Cheers,
              Dallas Mallerich
              Baltimore, MD