couplings

  • nypt2pandy
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 28, 2007
      Hi all, this has probably been asked before so apologies in advance,
      we would like to use something approaching prototypical looking
      couplings but we'd also like to be able to auto uncouple without the
      great hand from the sky, any suggestions ? We presume we're stuck with
      using Kadees as buckeye couplings but we've never worked with these
      and have heard mixed reports, in short...... help !
      happy modelling
      Dave & Lorraine

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 28, 2007
          Plenty of options here in the UK Dave, if you are prepared to do a bit of assembly yourself, it's usually easier than figuring out how to fit a Kadee draftbox aswell.  Here are a few examples  http://www.p4me.net/resource/articles/coupcomp.html

          My preferred coupler is the DG and I recently put together a guide which was posted on the Gn15 Gnatterbox forum, that you can find here : http://forum.gn15.info/index.php

          I do use Kadee's but only on what they were designed for US HO scale.  For narrow gauge I use either the DG, if automatic couplings are preferred, or link and pin type on layouts where uncoupling is not needed.

          Hope this helps
          Steve Bennett

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 17, 2007
            Hi guys, thanks Woddie & Steve, looks like it'll be another 2 months
            before I get any news on the impending wrist surgery and who knows
            when I'll start back on serious modelling. We've had a little
            experiance of "big Kadees" on the South Tynedale Railway (memories
            of 3 of us with a crowbar trying to un-jam the things early one
            morning) Steve, we had intended to go with Kadee couplers because of
            our time at the South Tynedale but we may well be going with your
            suggestion, after all, it's your stock & Steve Warrington's that
            we'll be using a lot of (remember the 2 loonies with the baby in the
            bright pink buggy from this years Telford show?)We really need to
            sort out couplings before we go much further.
            Thanks again guys !
            TTFN, happy modelling
            Dave & Lorraine

            --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "STEPHEN BENNETT"
            <steveblackdog@...> wrote:

            > Plenty of options here in the UK Dave, if you are prepared to do a
            bit of assembly yourself, it's usually easier than figuring out how
            to fit a Kadee draftbox aswell. Here are a few examples
            http://www.p4me.net/resource/articles/coupcomp.html

            > My preferred coupler is the DG and I recently put together a guide
            which was posted on the Gn15 Gnatterbox forum, that you can find
            here : http://forum.gn15.info/index.php

            > I do use Kadee's but only on what they were designed for US HO
            scale. For narrow gauge I use either the DG, if automatic couplings
            are preferred, or link and pin type on layouts where uncoupling is
            not needed.

            > Hope this helps
            > Steve Bennett
            > http://www.pepper7.co.uk

          • STEPHEN BENNETT
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 17, 2007
              Glad it helped, couplings are one of those things we take for granted until we come to use them.  Sometimes it takes a bit of experimenting to get what is most suitable for our purposes.  With there being no standard types in narrow gauge, sometimes the choice can certainly be bewildering.

              LOL, Yes Dave, I did realise who you were.  Didnt see much of you at this years show, but remember from previous ones.  How could I forget the two of you (wink).  Hope to see you again soon.

              Steve

              <steveblackdog@ ...> wrote:

              > Plenty of options here in the UK Dave, if you are prepared to do a
              bit of assembly yourself, it's usually easier than figuring out how
              to fit a Kadee draftbox aswell. Here are a few examples
              http://www.p4me. net/resource/ articles/ coupcomp. html

              > My preferred coupler is the DG and I recently put together a guide
              which was posted on the Gn15 Gnatterbox forum, that you can find
              here : http://forum. gn15.info/ index.php

              > I do use Kadee's but only on what they were designed for US HO
              scale. For narrow gauge I use either the DG, if automatic couplings
              are preferred, or link and pin type on layouts where uncoupling is
              not needed.

              > Hope this helps
              > Steve Bennett
              > http://www.pepper7. co.uk

            • nypt2pandy
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 18, 2007
                The main reason you didn't see so much of us this year is we were
                attending to something far more time consuming & potentially
                troublesome than any layout - the nappy monster ! :) She WILL like
                narrow gauge if she knows what's good for her ! lol We've come up
                with a new method of baseboard support, a folding steel cage to keep
                the baby in below the layout ! :) so if anybody has an old Morrison
                Shelter hanging around we could give it a new lease of life........
                If the winding gear plan goes ahead we'll probably have to fit
                couplings to each V tipper in order to get them in & out of the lift
                cage, unprototypical we know, but...... I suppose another factor we
                should take into consideration is the weight load on the couplings
                as some of our ideas might tend to get a bit on the heavy side, the
                slab wagons may well end up carrying pieces of real slate but I'm
                planning on hollowing them out with a burr in the dremel. Anyway,
                enough waffle from me,
                happy modelling
                TTFN