Fwd: Dubs A etch

  • Evan & Correne James
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 25, 2007
      Mark Andrews has produced an etch for a 9mm scale Dubs A 0-4-0 tank
      loco that ran in NZ. The brass is 0.6mm thick and the sheet is 300 x
      500. He is currently in the UK but packing up to shift back to New
      Zealand by Xmas, and has one etch available at present. I have popped a
      pick of the etch into the Files (at Mark's request)
      His e.mail address is:

      > "Mark Andrews" <markandmarisaintheuk@...>

      evan
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 25, 2007
        Evan: do you have any picture of the built up loco and /or the prototype?

                      Daniel

        Evan & Correne James <bce@...> wrote:

        Mark Andrews has produced an etch for a 9mm scale Dubs A 0-4-0 tank
        loco that ran in NZ. The brass is 0.6mm thick and the sheet is 300 x
        500. He is currently in the UK but packing up to shift back to New
        Zealand by Xmas, and has one etch available at present. I have popped a
        pick of the etch into the Files (at Mark's request)
        His e.mail address is:

        > "Mark Andrews"

        evan

      • Evan & Correne James
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 25, 2007
          I have created a separate folder with prototype pics and the etch pic
          in it

          evan

          I don't think Mark's address came out properly - here it is again

          markandmarisaintheuk@...

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 25, 2007
            Evan:
                       Thank you for posting the pictures. I am very surprised: it looks very different of anything I know.

                          Daniel

            Evan & Correne James <bce@...> wrote:
            I have created a separate folder with prototype pics and the etch pic
            in it

            evan

            I don't think Mark's address came out properly - here it is again

            markandmarisaintheuk@...

            On Sep 26, 2007, at 3:50 AM, daniel caso wrote:

            > Evan: do you have any picture of the built up loco and /or the
            > prototype?
            >
            >               Daniel
            >
            > Evan & Correne James wrote:
            >> Mark Andrews has produced an etch for a 9mm scale Dubs A 0-4-0 tank
            >> loco that ran in NZ. The brass is 0.6mm thick and the sheet is 300 x
            >> 500. He is currently in the UK but packing up to shift back to New
            >> Zealand by Xmas, and has one etch available at present. I have popped
            >> pick of the etch into the Files (at Mark's request)
            >> His e.mail address is:
            >>
            >> > "Mark Andrews"
            >>

            >> evan
            >
            > Tonight's top picks. What will you watch tonight? Preview the hottest
            > shows on Yahoo! TV.

            Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.

          • Paul Woods
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 26, 2007
            • Mike South
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 26, 2007
                An undated (but at least 20 years old) booklet that I have, called 'The
                Steam Locomotives of New Zealand: The Formative Years 1872-1908' gives
                the following info:

                "Smallest of all was the 'A' class 0-4-0T introduced for service on the
                branch lines of Canterbury. Twelve were built by Dübs & Co, Glasgow in
                1873 and two more by the Yorkshire Engine Co, Sheffield. Weighing only
                11 tonnes they soon proved too light even for branch line services and
                most of their working lives were spent shunting. NZR withdrew its last
                'A' in 1906 but today there are still four of the class in existence,
                two in Dunedin, one in Ashburton and one in Auckland."

                Mike South
                Calgary, Alberta, Canada
              • hunslett
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 26, 2007
                  Hi,
                  I have rejoined the 1/32 ranks again. I am modeling an industrial
                  minerals line using On3 track standards and some modelers lisence. My
                  present project is an O-4-0 diesel powered by a regaged Bmann trolley
                  mechanism with a model power plymouth hood and the rest is scratch. It
                  is just about complete lacking outside frames, cab interior and a roof.
                  Look forward to the discussions,
                  Vincent, Cincinnati
                • Evan & Correne James
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 26, 2007
                    Four are preserved actually, five if you count the Mills A. Not bad
                    considering only 14 were built in 1873. They were too small for the big
                    railways - which weren't all that big physically in those days - and
                    the first was sold in 1886 and the last was sold in 1906 mostly to coal
                    mines, freezing works, saw mills etc.
                    A mate of mine fired the A at Ocean Beach - the one in the pics - and
                    he didn't like it at all - awkward to fire and a struggle to maintain
                    pressure. Much preferred the Kerr Stuart.

                    evan