  • Daniel Osvaldo Caso
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 10, 2007
      Woodie:
      Another question: if I understand what I am going to do with RC
      command in my locos there would be no need of isolating the rails from
      each other. Is that so? Because then I just can make my "portable"
      track by soldering the rails to brass profile sleepers. I can get here
      some good hexagonal tube in brass that I can cut in halves with my
      Proxxon circle saw, That would be a top solution. It would also solve
      the need of longer sleepers for the switches. Or I can improvise a
      press to make real metal sleepers (brass) from thin metal plate (.020
      or something alike). A resistance soldering station would also solve
      the soldering work.
      I am going tomorow to the store to take a broad look at RC
      cars. I have no idea about what is available here in Holland. Also I
      must collect tomorow two Fleischmann Magic Train 0-4-0T locos I've
      ordered that I intend to use at my first experiment with RC.
      I will let you know how that evolves.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 11, 2007
          I found this site ;

          http://mini-zracer.com/

          /Henrik

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 11, 2007
            Great Henrik! I will take a look at it today.

                        Daniel

            > Daniel-you don't need to worry about track! You can solder the rail to
            > metal sleepers and not have to gap a thing! Matter of fact, you won't even
            > need track except to guide the wheels. Using r/c, yu can operate in a most
            > realistic manner without any track wiring whatsoever. When you visit the
            > store, see if they have the KYOSHO MINI-Z RACER 1:28 scale r/c cars. I use
            > the boards from these cars for all my locos, they are smaller than others
            > and work great with voltages from 6 to 12 volts and of course they have
            > proportional speed control. Let me know what you find.
            > Woodie
            >

            > Daniel Osvaldo Caso <d.caso@yahoo. com> wrote:
            > Woodie:
            > Another question: if I understand what I am going to do with RC
            > command in my locos there would be no need of isolating the rails from
            > each other. Is that so? Because then I just can make my "portable"
            > track by soldering the rails to brass profile sleepers. I can get here
            > some good hexagonal tube in brass that I can cut in halves with my
            > Proxxon circle saw, That would be a top solution. It would also solve
            > the need of longer sleepers for the switches. Or I can improvise a
            > press to make real metal sleepers (brass) from thin metal plate (.020
            > or something alike). A resistance soldering station would also solve
            > the soldering work.
            > I am going tomorow to the store to take a broad look at RC
            > cars. I have no idea about what is available here in Holland. Also I
            > must collect tomorow two Fleischmann Magic Train 0-4-0T locos I've
            > ordered that I intend to use at my first experiment with RC.
            > I will let you know how that evolves.
            >
            > Daniel

            Got a little couch potato?
          • Mario Bernkopf
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 14, 2007
              Woodie,

              While going through my old issues of Model Railroader recently, I came
              upon an article on an On2 sugar plantation railroad by a group called
              Texas Short Line Club. At the end of the article there was a photograph
              of the club members, including a pipe-smoking "Woodie Greene".

              Now I guess that though there might be quite a number of Woodie Greenes
              in this world, the number of Texan, model railroading, narrow-gauge
              minded Woodie Greenes might be rather small.

              In case you should be the one, congratulations on a layout of very high
              quality. The colour photographs in the article look absolutely
              realistic.

              Mario
              Weinstadt
              Germany

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 7, 2007
                  Woodie:
                              O.K.: with the Kyosho receiver + proportional speed control I'm done. Now: what about batteries? I would like to use the Lipo ones but the problem is still space. What are my alternatives at geting good batteries that I can recharge without removing and also have some reasonable running time? Wich are the smaller ones I can use? I have got an adress here where I can order what I want, so in principle availability don't need to be a problem.

                               I have posted a message asking about the RC system they are using for Thomas.I did that after reading somewhere (don't know anymore where) a message from you mentioning that.

                        Daniel.

                  Woodie Greene <mogollonry@...> wrote:
[...]

                  Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 8, 2007
                      Woodie:
                                Thank you. I am looking for alternatives because I see that the Woolwichs needs to wait until the available technology fits in . They just give me a total space (I mean not just for the batteries but for the receiver and speed control as well) of 46mm X 20mmX44mm.

                                I am also considering two versions of the Decauville types 1 and 3. In this ones I can take a total space of  55mm X 20mm X 45mm at type 1 and 70mm X 20mm X 48mm at type 3.

                                To spare you work ( I am sure you will keep receiving thius same questions from other modellers) may be the best thing is to open a file with the description of every kind of battery you know. Also other modelolers would be able to add what they know and everybody will have an usefull reference.
                          In    In my particular case now, the core of my questions is wich are the smaller good performing batteries I can use with the Kyosho Mini-Z Racer equipment? And I preffer , of course  the ones I can recharge without removing from the loco using for that the tracks at the water tank.

                                Do you know if the Convention brought something interesting for RCC? Or is  it still so rusty that they keep considering RCC an heresy?

                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 8, 2007
                        Woodie:
                                   About coupling a tender or trailing car to the locos for carrying the batteries my only problem is that I am planning a (for 1/32 scale) tiny layout .This is dictating that the overall radius is going to be 200mm (8") and the average train will consist of three 4 wheels wagons. If I add a tender or a trailing car,  my trains would be  too long for tghe disponible sidings and shed or too short to be convincing (more loco than train).
                                   But ,you know: I am convinced that what we are looking for already exists. I think it is just a question of information. From all those manufacturers realted to robotics  or something alike, must be aloready in production some tiny RCC equipment. I will try to reach a guy who sent me many years ago a letgter from Japan. He is a good modeller and I will ask him to look around for what we need
                                   I've  heard that the switches I was waiting for already arrived.Just that I am not at home until  monday. But this means that building time has arrived!!!