Portable track

  • Daniel Osvaldo Caso
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2007
      Hi:
      Is there someone in the group that can teach me a not too time
      consuming or difficult way of simulating metal sleepers for portable
      track?

      I just did an experiment with styrene and if nothing beter comes up
      I will adopt it, but I am sure that here in the group someone will
      come up with a brilliant solution.

      The pictures of my try will be posted in a moment. Everything is
      very rought because I had with me just a knife but also because what I
      wanted to know was if it was possible to get something from my idea.

      I bought a couple of Plastruct # 91521 G scale corrugated siding
      and cutted it to strips and then in more or less apropiate lengths. No
      measuring is done so don't pay atention at the "finesses"of the work.
      I then cutted rectangular holes to let the "spikes" of the track come
      up through the styrene and hold the track. It is of course not
      prototypical, but it is what I've found until now. Yes: I see that the
      Plastruct profil is much too hight and pronbably also too wide. But is
      the first try. I will see if I get someone here who coaches me at
      learning to make my own profils with vacuum. But that will take some
      time from now.
      After the try pictured at the photos I made -just now- a second
      one cutting the sleepers with my Proxxon table saw. It works of course
      much better but I've found that very precise regusters are needed .
      If the system works I think it will be a need to make some punch for
      the rectangular holes, but that will not be so difficult I hope.

      Daniel
    • Marc Reusser
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2007
        Daniel,

        A while back I was experimenting with forming them out of sheet metal
        (brass/copper)over a "positive" template/form for a section of
        display track, thus the rail and bolt heads woere then attached buy
        spot soldering and ACC.

        Though the look is prototypical when the sleeper ends ate exposed,
        the method is very problematic in several ways if you wish to operate:

        1. As the sleepers are metal, they coduct electricity between the two
        rails...so this would work only with R/C.

        2. In order to keep the scale look/thickness at the ends the metal is
        quite thin, and deforms if you try to spike it....the way around this
        was the slow and edous method of either "blocking" in a bit from the
        end of the sleepers, and then filling the center/rail area with a
        resin. When the resin is dry, each sleeper is pre-drilled through the
        metal and resin filler, to accept spikes......or...instead of resin,
        the center/rail area of the sleeper could be filled with a putty such
        as Bondo, and then drilled and spiked.

        The mice thing about metal is that it can be chemically balsckened,
        and then weathered with paint or chalks to give a nice aged finish.

        I was going to play around with a 3rd way, but never got to it, and
        that was vacumforming sheet styrene to the form of the sleepers
        using my Mattel Vacuform machine....then gluing some proper sixed
        strip styrene into the underside recess in the area where the spikes
        would go.

        Sorry, I never took any pics of these experiments....but maybe the
        concepts will give you an idea.

        Marc

        --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Osvaldo Caso"

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2007
          Marc:
                  Thank you for your clear answer. Yes, it is a tricky issue. I thought about making them from metal and discarted the idea because the electrical problem.  I was considering RC as a posibility but have the idea that it is still in a early development fase and seems not so easy to begin with. But you relate both problems to each other -I didn't- and that may be a solution. I will take a serious look at the posibility of usig RC. The big  problem seems to be the bateries that are too big and too expensive. I am planning to scratchbuild a couple of Woolwich type locos. They are well in a big scale (1/32) but are also tiny machines. Mu only chance would be the space in the saddle tank.But it could work.
                 It is really a pitty you didn't made photos of your sleepers.But I understand your description very well.
                 Any way , also if I am going to look what I can do about RC, I will keep trying to find a way of making them.Do you think it would be too complicated to cast the in resin? I would need a two parts mold to get the ends looking realistic but the good think is that I would be able to pre-marc the holes places  for the spikes and this would asure some kind of self alignement... if it works. Also I would need a second mould for switch sleepers.

                I would like to learn from you how to make the right profil by vacuum. Is it expensive machinery or too complicated or is something that means a reasonable investment and not too much technology? Because once you have it you can use a vacuum machine voor many different projects.

                I've got a link from some fellow from Canada to a Canadian producer of this kind of sleepers in milled PC board. But the site just lets see some drawings, no photos.Anyway I don't think the will be milling the back of the sleepers and also it is not my scale.

                Thank you once more.