Drawings for my first 1/32 16,5mm gauge semi-portable layout

  • Daniel Osvaldo Caso
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hi all:
      I've just posted some sketch-up drawings of my planned 1/32
      layout. If I must mention some inspirators I must then mention my
      friend Henrik Laurell and Wazoo Island.
      It all started when I was at work with my 0n30 modular layout
      and discovered the fascination of 18"and 20"railways. I suddently
      stoped working at the modular and built a freelanced 0n18 prairie and
      a couple of wagons. But I still had a lot of 0n30 material and HO
      mechanisms so after a few weeks was obvious that it would became
      something bigger than 0n18.
      I designed several layouts until last week I must stay one day
      and one night at the hospital. I took with me some drawing material
      and when next day I came home the present layout plan was ready.

      This time it won't be a rusty logging line or semi abandoned
      railway but a neat, good maintained line serving agricultural
      activities in an island (still without name). Some cattle (sheep) and
      an apple trees plantation.A tiny port with a dock and a hand operated
      crane, a small station and all centered around the railway maintenance
      instalations: a one track loco shed, a car repair shed served by two
      small turntables ( may be better called turnplates) and a "big"
      magazine where apples are storaged until loading into an open motor
      sboat. There will be also a small boat house and an Australian water
      tower with the corresponding wind mill.

      I plan to scratchbuild a couple of (different) Woolwich type
      locos or better said inspired in those prototypes.But all locos will
      be woodburning. The whole layout will be full of trees. The siding
      with the cattle dock will be surrounded by big trees and the other
      siding will be between parallel rows of apple trees.

      I like to use lots of trees to both isolate the different
      scenes and forcing the viewer to walk around concentrating at each
      scene and not being able to see the other ones at the same time.Also I
      like the atmosphere of looking at scale people eye level , between the
      trees in search of detail. That's why the layout will be at 1,30m
      hight (4'4"more or less).
      The woodden construction is designed to be folded and unfolded
      very fast and easy by just one person. Also, as illustrated by the
      drawings, there is a posibility of tilting the layout to make easy
      working on the wiring. (I don't even think about DCC).

      I ordered from a fellow here in Holland the code 100 NS 200mm
      radius switches and I hope I will have them at the end of August. I
      plan -don't know yet if I will succeed at this- to simulate "portable
      track" in the whole layout.

      To avoid problems when tilting the layout for working on the
      wiring, there are two square iron tube telescopic "legs" with screw
      fine adjustment.

      Of course one never knows, (Do you want God to smile? : Tell
      him your plans!) but after building several layouts (room, modular and
      portables) I think I will work with this project at least some five or
      six years.

      My motivation to design such a woodden structure was de need
      of keeping the layout well storaged when not in use but at the same
      time making easy to reach it for building and operation.

      The layout itself measures as said 120 cm X 180 cm X 60cm: and
      storaged 1,85m X 0,63m X 1,33m. Turned on one of its sides it can be
      moved through any standard Holland door and also brought down through
      the stairs.This was determining the measures. I know that when it will
      be ready I will sell it as I did with the other ones and finance with
      that money my next proyect. And in my experience it is much easyer to
      sell a layout when it is not a huge dust collecting thing that
      requires a lot of the scarce space disponible here in Holland and also
      that is not too complicated to get in operation or again storaged.

      Well , this was a long mail. My excuses for that and also for
      my poor English.

      Daniel
    • kkimmarsh
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
        --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Osvaldo Caso"
        <d.caso@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > time making easy to reach it for building and operation.
        >
        > The layout itself measures as said 120 cm X 180 cm X 60cm: and
        > storaged 1,85m X 0,63m X 1,33m. Turned on one of its sides it can be
        > moved through any standard Holland door and also brought down through
        > the stairs.This was determining the measures. I know that when it will
        > be ready I will sell it as I did with the other ones and finance with
        > that money my next proyect. And in my experience it is much easyer to
        > sell a layout when it is not a huge dust collecting thing that
        > requires a lot of the scarce space disponible here in Holland and also
        > that is not too complicated to get in operation or again storaged.
        >
        > Well , this was a long mail. My excuses for that and also for
        > my poor English.
        >
        > Daniel
        >daniel welcome you are about to build a unique piece of railway and
        when finished it will belong to a small collection of working 1-35 and
        1-32 narrow gauge large scale layouts, enjoy. the track plan looks
        interesting i like the collection around the loco sheds,and the fold
        up table concept. there is a rumer around that the gentleman that
        designed the range of Ikear furniture was into large scale narrow
        gauge -um- all the best from kim in sunny sydney
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
          Kklimmarsh:
                               Thank you for your encouraging compliments.

                       Daniel

> [...]
          > that money my next proyect. And in my experience it is much easyer to
          > sell a layout when it is not a huge dust collecting thing that
          > requires a lot of the scarce space disponible here in Holland and also
          > that is not too complicated to get in operation or again storaged.
          >
          > Well , this was a long mail. My excuses for that and also for
          > my poor English.
          >
          > Daniel
          >daniel welcome you are about to build a unique piece of railway and
          when finished it will belong to a small collection of working 1-35 and
          1-32 narrow gauge large scale layouts, enjoy. the track plan looks
          interesting i like the collection around the loco sheds,and the fold
          up table concept. there is a rumer around that the gentleman that
          designed the range of Ikear furniture was into large scale narrow
          gauge -um- all the best from kim in sunny sydney

          Building a website is a piece of cake.
        • Ola Sjöblom
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
            Just where has you posted this?
            I would wish all posters to specify where the new
            material is,
            it is wery irritating to search the files for a
            long time and still
            dont find a post refered to in a message.

            Ola

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
              Ola:
                   You can find it at PHOTOS in the Album with the name "My first 1/32 project". But if you are already at the home page of the group you can go directly just by "New Photos".

                     Daniel

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
                If your layout is going to be as good as your computer work, it is
                going to be one amazing layout - come to think of it, with skills like
                that would you not be better of creating a virtual layout only and then
                you don't have to worry about carting the layout up and down the stairs

                :-)

                evan

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2, 2007
                  Evan:
                         Thank you for your compliments. But dat computer work is just a consecuence of bieung forced to wait for my ordered code 100NS 16,5mm gauge  200mm radius switches. Without them I can't start laying track. Actually I am terrible bad at the compouter and the Sketch-up program is aomething I am still learning to use.
                         I hope my modelling is not going to disapoint you but keeping it at computerwork is the last option I would consider.
                         Also if I am leaving it, designing and building furniture is been my job for years, so you'll understand that the design and the concept are elaborated issues and not work of a newcommer, also if I tryed to keep it as simple as possible.
                        I am modelling since I was 5 (am 56 now) and have been working as a professional modellmaker for most of my life. It is modelling and not drawing what |I enjoy the most. But, that said, I will confess that this playting with Sketch-up and a couple of ideas is not that bad. Only proble is that the repertoire of components is extremly limited so everything tends to look the same. Also it is time consuming and I am shure I where not doing it if I had my switches already.
                        I am living in Holland, where space is not easy available. That influenced very strongly my designs. And as said in my posting, after having several experiences with it and knowing I will sell the layout after a few years I know that a self enclosed layout, easy to be operated and storaged is a clue at selling it.
                       My idea is to fill the whole layout with different kinds of trees so that one will not be able to have an bird eye panorama and the only way to discover it will be walking around and looking between the trees with some patience.That is the feeling I have when visiting for example the narrow gauge museum at Erica (and old peat factory: you walk between trees that makes impossible -except arround the loco shed- to see more that what stand just before you. It gives a sence of mistery and because you are not able to keep an eye on the whole you concentrate very sharply at every thing you see. I am using, of course, a lot of what I learnt at the arts academy.Sure when it comes to composition, colors, etc.
                        Henestly: what I enjoy the most now a day is making landscaspe and specialy trees.
                        Drawing a layout, when it is not about studing especific problems is a bit as talking about it but doing nothing. I need and like to see what I have done standing foir me at its own. At modelling you develop a lot of skills and work with many different materials. I love that. With the computer -doesn't matter how impressive a drawing can be- I am just moving a couple of fingers, mostly just one. So you must thank for my drawings to the guy who is making my switches.
                       Thank you again: it is good to get positive feed back.

                                          Daniel

                  If your layout is going to be as good as your computer work, it is
                  going to be one amazing layout - come to think of it, with skills like
                  that would you not be better of creating a virtual layout only and then
                  you don't have to worry about carting the layout up and down the stairs

                  :-)

                  evan

                  >     You can find it at PHOTOS in the Album with the name "My first
                  > 1/32 project". But if you are already at the home page of the group
                  > you can go directly just by "New Photos".
                  >
                  >        Daniel
                  Daniel

                  If your layout is going to be as good as your computer work, it is
                  going to be one amazing layout - come to think of it, with skills like
                  that would you not be better of creating a virtual layout only and
                  then you don't have to worry about carting the layout up and down the
                  stairs

                  :-)

                  evan

                  You can find it at PHOTOS in the Album with the name "My first 1/32
                  project". But if you are already at the home page of the group you can

                  Luggage? GPS? Comic books?