Questions for this Group.................

  • Tom Yorke
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
      ................................... I have been a quiet member for many years on this list. My business is
      producing model kits and parts for mainly On30 and 1/4" scale. That market seems to be
      very "flat" now. Too much available. Modelers too cheap to buy anything of quality (except
      locomotives from Bachmann). The main slogan seems to be " it's good enough".

      I love designing and producing specialty miniatures. True, the markets are small and niche. I
      do have a small line in G scale but the 1/4" line is sitting. HO scale is a little small for me to
      see but I will probably go back to producing it. My question to this group is what do you
      want? Would it be worth it for me to do miniatures in 1/32 - 1/35 scales? This is one
      manufacturer who is interested in your scales. Would you like a few resin conversion kits for
      vehicles, some small structure kits and maybe a few locomotive conversion kits following my
      Scrap Yard Dog series in On30? I will post a few samples of miniatures over the weekend so
      those who are not familiar with my work may see what I am talking about. You could also
      visit the yahoo group Yorke_Kits for a wealth of info.

      I would like to know if you guys are interested in some special kits that I can do for you.

      Thanks,
      Tom Yorke
      tomyorke@...
    • J DAVEY
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
        Tom Yorke and other members of the group:  I personally would be interested in conversions for Bachmann steam locos (a la the Mogollon & Los Pinos Porters) & gas mechanicals and perhaps a 1920s or 1930s dump truck conversion for some of the very beautiful 1/32nd truck models which are readily available at reasonable rates from Motor Mint and Diecast Direct (a semi flatbed trailer, moving van, or a canvas covered stake bed load would also be nice).  In addition, I would be interested in the Frijole Flats series in 1/32nd scale as there are a number of us who model the Mexican border area.

        Just some thoughts for you to consider.

        Thanks,
        Byron Davey

        Tom Yorke <tomyorke@...> wrote:
[...]

        tomyorke@bellsouth. com

      • Tom Yorke
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
          --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, J DAVEY <byrondtx@...> wrote:

          > Tom Yorke and other members of the group: I personally would be interested in
          conversions for Bachmann steam locos (a la the Mogollon & Los Pinos Porters) & gas
          mechanicals and perhaps a 1920s or 1930s dump truck conversion for some of the very
          beautiful 1/32nd truck models which are readily available at reasonable rates from Motor
          Mint and Diecast Direct (a semi flatbed trailer, moving van, or a canvas covered stake bed
          load would also be nice). In addition, I would be interested in the Frijole Flats series in
          1/32nd scale as there are a number of us who model the Mexican border area.

          > Just some thoughts for you to consider.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Byron Davey

          Thanks Byron for your comments. I hope members of this group will check in here and let
          me know what they want. I would also like to know what the breakdown is as far as
          prototypes modeled. European, UK or USA, etc. It would help out a lot to know.

          I will listen to the members here, so please speak up and be heard. I am a manufacturer
          who is willing to try and give you some of what you would like or need. Complete structure
          kits, parts, autos, locos, whatever.

          I do have the beginnings of some resin parts for the 1/32 vehicles available. I was doing
          these on my own and I have some parts ready now including brakes and flat tires. I am in
          the process of doing parts for a Model T Truck. Is there any interest in such stuff?

          Cheers,
          Tom
        • Larry TeGantvoort
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
            --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Yorke" <tomyorke@...>
            wrote:

            > Thanks Byron for your comments. I hope members of this group will check in
            here and let
            > me know what they want. I would also like to know what the breakdown is
            as far as
            > prototypes modeled. European, UK or USA, etc. It would help out a lot to
            know.

            > I will listen to the members here, so please speak up and be heard. I am a
            manufacturer
            > who is willing to try and give you some of what you would like or need.
            Complete structure
            > kits, parts, autos, locos, whatever.
            >
            > I do have the beginnings of some resin parts for the 1/32 vehicles available.
            I was doing
            > these on my own and I have some parts ready now including brakes and flat
            tires. I am in
            > the process of doing parts for a Model T Truck. Is there any interest in such
            stuff?

            > Cheers,
            > Tom

            I agree with Byron... I'm not much of a scratch builder of rolling stock so
            conversion kits for Bachmann equipment would be something I could really
            use. Tipper cars are another thing I could use... Bachmann V tippers with
            break handles are spaced too far apart for my tast.

            I model USA prototypes.

            Larry T.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
                Thanks for asking/offering.  I think structure kits but as you must be aware not many people are in the scale sothe offering will need to be generic enough to have broad appeal.  I hope you can figure it out.  Some building walls and roofs would be welcomed.

                Tom Yorke <tomyorke@...> wrote:
[...]

                Greg Wright
                360-352-5386

                in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
                to find your fit.

              • Mark Stonbraker
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
                  Hello All,

                       Tom has already produce great kits that can be used in 1/32-1/36 scales.  I have his water tower and turn table kits, both of which I plan on using for an Indonesia sugar cane railway.

                  Regards,
                  Mark Stonbraker

                  Tom Yorke <tomyorke@bellsouth. net> wrote:
[...]

                  Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

                • Tom Yorke
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
                    --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, Woodie Greene <mogollonry@...> wrote:

                    > Tom-I am familiar with your work and I am sure that whatever you would like to offer
                    would be great. It seems that most of the fellows here build "Euro" prototype, but a critter
                    is a critter anywhere. My buddies and I build funky mining equipment based on twenty
                    inch and twenty four inch gauge prototypes and would welcome most anything. If you do a
                    US type loco, you might consider parts that would convert available On30 locos. We have
                    found that Bachmann's stuff "upscales" nicely. and operates well so maybe an idea there.
                    Freight cars would be nice, probably 4 wheel types. Structures would be welcome also,
                    small ones might be more popular than some of the stuff I build (smelters, business,
                    enginehouses, etc.). Of course there is always a need for "junk" and "clutter". I hope this
                    helps you out. Now, I may not be the guy who will make a manufacturer rich since I love to
                    scratchbuild most everything, but who knows? Detail parts and auto & truck conversion
                    kits would really
                    > interest me however. You can look at my meager efforts in the photos section-
                    Mogollon Railway in Texas. For me, 1:32 scale is "where it's at" after building in most every
                    scale known to civilized man.
                    > Woodie C Greene

                    Woodie,
                    I certainly wouldn't say your efforts were meager. I love what you've done. Lots of
                    character. If I wasn't so far along in Gn15, I'd probably go the 1/32 route myself.

                    It is difficult to make a living from this business. I started way back in the mid 70's. The
                    two jobs I have had over the years were my own business and Disney. One led to the other
                    and back again. However, my work with Disney is over because they insist on the
                    computer as the only tool. I like working with a pencil. That's an oversimplification of
                    course, but it works out in the end as no more work from them. So, I am on my own again.
                    Miniatures are the only thing that's left for me. Don't get me wrong here. I love the work! I
                    am never at a loss for ideas. Time is the enemy. Over the years though, model railroading
                    has changed. There are many, many reasons for this, but it still boils down to fewer sales.
                    I must search out new areas and new things to produce. The On30 market is really not
                    where it is at for me any more. I try to satisfy myself with Gn15. That market is very
                    limited too, but it is what I personally model in. I like the funkyness of it. Along the way I
                    discovered European railroads. I used to hate them. The small feldbahns captured my
                    attention for whatever reason and now I'm hooked. My Gn15 "stuff" reflects this although I
                    mix in American prototypes. An island railroad was what I settled on. The best of both
                    worlds plus lots of color.

                    But back to manufacturing. I must do so to keep from living in a box under thr freeway. I
                    don't think my wife would go for that. So, I'm looking to expand into different areas and
                    scales. There are a lot of nice 1/32 autos and trucks around for not too much money.
                    Makes them easy to bash. Anyway, I'm here asking this group what they'd like. I love
                    designing things and as I've said, I have no shortage of ideas. That's why I am asking this
                    group these questions. I know no model is going to satisfy everyone. We all have our likes
                    and dislikes, but I hope I can do some stuff for you guys. The offer is out there.

                    I am working on some parts for those 1/32 scale autos. I have a design for a nice little
                    stuccoed station with tile roof that would be great in 1/32 scale. I have no problem doing
                    European style structures or perhaps Spanish. I just want to hear from members of this
                    group. I need your thoughts and ideas.

                    Thanks for your comments thus far. Please keep them coming.

                    Tom
                  • Martin Field
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
                      Tom, nice to hear from you, I've read a lot about your work and a very good friend who knows it thinks highly of it, which is praise indeed.
                      I know your problem, having been in the same position of wondering what would sell.  I've never been able to get one-off work for the mythical rich guys that Mike South talks about and my recent efforts to interest the group in some castings of axleboxes and useful bits have fallen on deaf ears, or maybe there just aren't enough modellers of British narrow gauge in 1/32nd scale, even though that's where things began.
                      Your problem with European prototypes would be the enormous variety of appearance throughout the continent.  German Feldbahnen und Smallspurbahnen all look like they just fell out of a Fleischman box.  The real thing really is black with scarlet wheels and enormous. I saw one of the Hartz mountain trains puffing through the forest near Braunschweig and it was impressive, but hardly "charming".  Iknow little of the French systems assuming as I did that they'd all fallen apart, like most French villages.  If you want really delightful narrow gauge the British lines are a sure bet.  The Ffestiniog has become the Coca-Cola of NG, a victim of its own success, but is still an amazing achievement and they also have the truly impressive Welsh Highland Railway going out the other end of Porthmadog.  They're running Garretts like they're two-a-penny.  The Talyllyn is still wonderfully bucolic and for those who want industrial on a grand scale the old Penrhyn Quarry Railway had a hell of an operation with some interesting stock, now dispersed all over the country. I have some drawings for that if you're interested.  We also had dozens of agricultural lines with all manner of weird and wonderful locos.  Then, for a Gn15 fan like you are all the estate railways.  Don't forget, it all started here.  Maybe we could do a joint project.  I like to originate, you have the production sorted out.  Mail me off group if you like.
                      Cheers, Martin