Re: [FS32NGModelrail] Standards

    Message 1 of 43 , May 7, 2007
      Gents-I have failed to remember that model railroading is different in other places besides here in Dallas, Texas, USA. Sorry that I have mentioned in some postings about the ease of using "HO & On30" this and that. Here in the US, O scale is 1:48 scale using 1/4 inch to the foot and the National Model Railroad Association has the "final say" on "standards". In the early days of model railroading in the US, The National (NMRA) group could make or break manufacturers who produced kits and ready to run equipment. Back then, the NMRA would issue "warrants" of conformity to those companies which used the NMRA standards for wheels, track, etc. and those who didn't use the standards were soon out of business! Today, the NMRA has standards for most model railroading scales, electrical equipment, and controls. Here in the US, one can buy an HO (3.5mm, 1:87 scale) or O scale locomotive from any manufacturer and be able to operate it on his(hers) layout with no problem.(excapt for Maerklin)  The more fastidious modelers are using  "Proto" standards these days-P48 (O scale), P87 (HO scale) and I am sure there are others. I will probably never use any "Proto" standards for my 1:32 narrow gauge line because the railroads I love and model tend to operate on "less than standard" right of way. Small rail, tiny spikes, rotting ties, and trackage in need of alignment is my thing. I feel that if I used any "fine" standards, I would not be able to run a train on such track  This is my story and I am sticking to it.
                         W C Greene-Mogollon Railway

      Dave Eggleston <degg13@...> wrote:
      Actually, no, On3 in the USA uses 3/4" gauge and while a smaller scale/guage combination than say On30 or HOn3, there are plenty of adherents. NWSL has wheel sets in a variety of sizes, kits and locos exist, and I believe that pre-fab track and switches have been manufactured at times, though most modellers I know in the scale hand lay their track.

      On30 uses 16.5mm gauge track.

      Dave

      Message 43 of 43 , May 9, 2007
        Martin Field wrote:

        > Russell, I'm very glad to hear it, honestly. It's an impression I've
        > gained from American magazines as an ignorant Englishman. Ignorant
        > in the sense that not much is mentioned about actual gauge in
        > American articles. And 16.5 has been used instead of nearly 19 for
        > years in OO, so it was not so fanciful to assume that yet another
        > scale put up with a wrong gauge as do so many scales.,Martin

        3/4" = 19mm was also the gauge used in the US for 'OO' gauge, instead
        of the incorrect 16.5mm used in the UK. I understand that US 'OO' was
        quite popular at one time (about 50-60 years ago) but is now virtually
        extinct, having lost out to 'HO'.

        Brian Rumary, England

        www.rumary.co.uk