Re: Standards and 4 wheel underframes

  • Paul & Baabra Napier
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2007
      Martin,

      I have just read a series of your postings received in the daily digest. I
      must say I was stunned by your attack on Mike South's genuine reply to your
      query on standards.

      You advocate the need for accurate wheels and 'everything else' but then
      admit you will, for example, accept non-scale track and solebars.

      Personally I don't see the logic of adopting such accurate standards for the
      rollingstock. If you ever want to finish a layout ultimately everything
      becomes a compromise - figures, vehicles, scenery etc.

      Paul Napier

      - 'I have to tolerate slightly wrong rail perhaps, because I haven't the
      means to extrude or roll metal on a mass scale,'
      - 'I will measure a wheel, divide it by 32 and make the damned thing AND
      make it run. I will do the same with everything else.'
      - 'If the flange turns out to be too small (which I doubt) I'll enlarge it
      just the tiniest bit if I absolutely have to. Everything else will be
      1/32ND SCALE,'
      - 'They'll be accurate white metal castings with the backs centre drilled to
      take the bearings of your choice. You'll have to glue 'em on your solebars
      which are simple in both cases (brass channel or Plastruct section).'
    • Martin Field
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6, 2007
        Paul, Mike and I have made our peace.  I'm surprised though, that you found his post (the one full of condescending large print) reasonable. However, all is forgiven I hope. I have great respect for Mike and and quite a history of correspondence with him which I don't wish to damage.
        Your point about non-scale track and solebars is a mystery to me. I said I might not be able to get exact rail and said my axlebox castings would have to glued to the simple solebars.  This is because the solebars of the Hudson and Penryn wagons I measured at Bressingham ARE simple channel section welded together, with the occasional rivet.  Not because I can't be bothered to make them properly. It takes no longer to reproduce them well as badly.
        For me, the attraction of 1/32nd scale is the unusual 3/4" gauge. If you're happy with 16.5mm good for you. I like to be different. I thought that was the whole point of NG, but, as ever, horses for courses. If I can get my bits cast inexpensively and others can use them, that's really great. Glad to have helped.  If I had them cast and kept them for myself that would be unacceptable to me.
        Cheers, Martin