Re: [FS32NGModelrail] Chain and Pulley Drives

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 10, 2007
      Roger:
      I know I have seen in a folder of NorthWest
      Short Line (NWSL) specifications of a chain & sproket
      system. It was some time ago then I don't know if they
      are still in production. May be is interesant to
      contact NWSL.

      Daniel
      --- r101g1e1r <mmfield@...> wrote:

      > Looking for UK supply of small chain and sproket
      > drives to suit 1/8th
      > and 2mm shafts, and/or similar belt and pulley
      > drive. This is to link
      > the motor situated in the loco boiler to the gear
      > drive underneath on
      > the chassis. The only chain and sprockets I have
      > found are either sold
      > in sets for specific locos and are all for 3/16th
      > shafting.
      >
      > Regards Roger

      Get your own web address.
    • Dan Wilson
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 10, 2007
        Roger; I think that the delrin snap chain you are looking for may be
        available from M&M Models www.modelrailwaywagons.co.uk in the UK.
        Looking on the NWSL site catalog, I do not see any chain. In the USA,
        we can get the same product from Small Parts, Inc www.smallparts.com
        I used to carry the chain and sprockets in my hobby shop years ago,
        and it was originally developed by a company here in Colorado, the
        name of which escapes me....The chain is delrin, and like a half-link
        in configuration, so it can be snapped to the next link, and thus
        makes up into any length you wish. The sprockets are also delrin, and
        made in many sizes. The most useful ones for our sort are 8t, 9t,
        10t, 16t and 20t, all in a 1/8" bore. 8t to 16t gives a very useful
        2:1 gear reduction from a motor to a gearbox input shaft like those
        that NWSL sells. The chain links allow one to place the motor where
        it wants to be, rather than being stuck with a set distance with
        normal gears. NWSL does offer reducing bushes, or you can also
        utilize brass tubing in order to adapt the sprockets to a given shaft
        size. I have used this system over the last 25 years to power various
        toys, from trains to r/c model boats, and see no disadvantages
        whatsoever. It is far stronger than our modelling needs will be.I can
        post some pics of an On30" (O7mm?) railbus that uses a two stage
        chain drive, as well as another power bogie intended for a larger
        railbus... right after I figure out how to post them. If that proves
        difficult for this old digitally-challenged modeler, I can always e-
        mail them direct to interested parties...
        regards, Dan Wilson, Colorado Springs, CO, USA

        --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, daniel caso <d.caso@...>

        ______________
        > Get your own web address.

      • Dan Wilson
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 10, 2007
          Roger, sorry I missed L. Snover's earlier post on this subject. His
          info is for the US manufacturer, Serv-O-Link. Site has the specs. All
          the same stuff. regards, dan---

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 10, 2007
            You are right Dan, it was not NWSL but Grandt Line and
            I still have somwhere that old catalog. I will post a
            copy of the pagina when I find it (today or tomorow).I
            am shure because I was then plannig to use them in a
            model of a Sentinel.

            http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 11, 2007
              Well. the old catalog page is not yet in my hands but
              ,I hope, this site can help much better:

              www.servolink.com

              Daniel

              The fish are biting.