Re: [FS32NGModelrail] Digest Number 1094

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2006
      On 7/09/2006, at 5:59 AM, FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Of course you al know that two
      > component epoxyresin glue does'nt stick to polystyrene. Well, i
      > did'nt. I had to learn it from "hair rippin" experience. Can anyone
      > tell me how to glue metal (brass nuts) to polystyrene.

      Gidday Johan

      I assume you're trying to attach a nut somewhere out of sight to
      secure the mechanism. A useful trick in this sort of situation is to
      use a piece of copier paper between the brass and the styrene. Stick
      the paper to the styrene with solvent -- if you hold it in place and
      flood with solvent the surface of the styrene will melt and soak into
      the paper (push the paper hard against the styrene to help force the
      molten styrene into it). Once the solvent has evaporated you can
      epoxy the brass to the paper.

      If the nut is indeed to take a fixing screw it would also be wise to
      drill out a clearance hole in the styrene above the nut. If the screw
      can come through into contact with the styrene it will jack the nut
      off (stop giggling at the back of the class) whatever you use to
      secure it.

      ________________

      Kevin Crosado
      De Selby Research
    • jh_afman
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 9, 2006
        Hi Kevin

        > I assume you're trying to attach a nut somewhere out of sight to
        > secure the mechanism.

        You got it absolutely right. It's for fixing the schratchbuilt body
        to an existing Fleischmann chassis. I thought i had it all sorted
        out but it did'nt work out that way. I'l put some pictures of the
        progress in the photo section.

        kind regards, Johan