Re: Dutch Number Plates

  • Otto Schouwstra
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 28 1:07 AM
      Hello Bernard,

      I don't know the exact measures anymore but they were about 40x15 cm.
      The color was blue and the letters were white. The letters were
      plain, no extra "ornaments". Each province had a letter followed by
      a number. Immediately after the war these numbers were not very
      high, in a village only the doctor would have a car. Probably an
      early Ford Taunus but more likely a (spectacle) Beetle.
      The province of Groninge had an A. Example A 89 . Frieslan had a
      B. The province of North Holland had NH and South Holland had ZH.
      Numbers would be higher here f.i. ZH 356 or even ZH 1508 .
      As little boys we had notebooks an a pencil and wrote the numbers of
      passing cars. In the village in the north where I lived in 1947 I
      had a record one day: 5 numbers!

      Hope this helps, Otto.

      --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "bernard_snoodyk"
      <bernard_snoodyk@...> wrote:

      > Hi to Group Members,
      >
      > can anyone in the group, particularly our Dutch friends, tell me
      what
      > vehicle number plates in the Netherlands looked like in immediate
      post-
      > WWII period.
      >
      > I am particularly interested in:
      >
      > - shape of the front & rear plates
      > - letter/number configuration
      > - letter style.
      >
      > you may well ask what this has to do with narrow gauge model
      building.
      > the answer is simple I am building a post-war wharf scene set in
      > Holland in that period and it has a number of vehicles [cars and
      trucks]
      > in the scene.
      >
      > thank you in advance
      >
      > Bernard Snoodyk

    • Otto Schouwstra
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 28 1:15 AM
        Bernard, at the backside of a lorry you could have a plate of about
        25x30 cm that had the letter(s) in the middle above the number.