Dutch Number Plates

  • bernard_snoodyk
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 27, 2006
      Hi to Group Members,

      can anyone in the group, particularly our Dutch friends, tell me what
      vehicle number plates in the Netherlands looked like in immediate post-
      WWII period.

      I am particularly interested in:

      - shape of the front & rear plates
      - letter/number configuration
      - letter style.

      you may well ask what this has to do with narrow gauge model building.
      the answer is simple I am building a post-war wharf scene set in
      Holland in that period and it has a number of vehicles [cars and trucks]
      in the scene.

      thank you in advance

      Bernard Snoodyk
    • Otto Schouwstra
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 28, 2006
        Hello Bernard,

        I don't know the exact measures anymore but they were about 40x15 cm.
        The color was blue and the letters were white. The letters were
        plain, no extra "ornaments". Each province had a letter followed by
        a number. Immediately after the war these numbers were not very
        high, in a village only the doctor would have a car. Probably an
        early Ford Taunus but more likely a (spectacle) Beetle.
        The province of Groninge had an A. Example A 89 . Frieslan had a
        B. The province of North Holland had NH and South Holland had ZH.
        Numbers would be higher here f.i. ZH 356 or even ZH 1508 .
        As little boys we had notebooks an a pencil and wrote the numbers of
        passing cars. In the village in the north where I lived in 1947 I
        had a record one day: 5 numbers!

        Hope this helps, Otto.

        --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "bernard_snoodyk"
        <bernard_snoodyk@...> wrote:

        > Hi to Group Members,
        >
        > can anyone in the group, particularly our Dutch friends, tell me
        what
        > vehicle number plates in the Netherlands looked like in immediate
        post-
        > WWII period.
        >
        > I am particularly interested in:
        >
        > - shape of the front & rear plates
        > - letter/number configuration
        > - letter style.
        >
        > you may well ask what this has to do with narrow gauge model
        building.
        > the answer is simple I am building a post-war wharf scene set in
        > Holland in that period and it has a number of vehicles [cars and
        trucks]
        > in the scene.
        >
        > thank you in advance
        >
        > Bernard Snoodyk

      • Otto Schouwstra
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 28, 2006
          Bernard, at the backside of a lorry you could have a plate of about
          25x30 cm that had the letter(s) in the middle above the number.