AW: [FS32NGModelrail] Digest Number 1054

  • Mario Bernkopf
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2006
      Nachricht
      Hi Kevin,

      I painted the tank (plaster casting) with Floquil grimy black and then weathered it with a burnt umber/turpentine mix. While the turpentine mix was still wet, I dabbed brown shoe dye in ethanol on, which precipitated the shoe dye immediately and left granular, rust-looking spots. When everything was dry, I sprayed the tank with Dullcote. I also added spots of tan shoe dye in alcohol to the wet turpentine to simulate dust deposits. This method works fast and is virtually foolproof, therefore ideally suitable for me!

      The prototype for this tank is in Sardinia. Water tanks in southern Europe are often painted a dark colour like black.

      Mario

      On 31/05/2006, at 9:12 PM, FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > I built a Tom Yorke 1:24
      water tank kit, which sort of follows a
      > water tank from the Sardinian
      n.g. railways. It is the right size,
      > down
      > to the details,
      for 1:32 narrow gauge. The photograph came out a
      > bit on

      the dark side, so I call it "water tank at dusk".

      Gidday Mario

      Neat tank. The finish looks like galvanised metal, or is that an
      effect of the dusk? How did you finish it?

      Kevin Crosado
      De Selby Research