Charming Australian 4-wheel locos in prospect....

  • Mike South
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2006
      Just a gentle 'advance warning' so that you can start saving up your hard-earned dollars, pounds, euros or whatever :-)  I understand that a very well known professional model maker has just finished working on the masters for 7mm/1ft scale AND 1/32 scale kits of Australian prototype Malcolm Moore 4-wheeled i/c locomotives. To quote from the webpage of Tootle Engineering's 16mm/1ft scale version:-

      "Melbourne based Malcolm Moore built a total of ninety-four of these 2ft gauge, four-wheeled locos from 1943 onwards. They were originally fitted with a Ford V8 engine and manual mechanical gearbox. After the war many of them were auctioned off to sugar mills and other industries including mining. Examples can be found today at the Ida Bay Railway in Tasmania, the Alexandra Timber Tramway Museum Museum in Victoria and also lurking out the back at the odd sugar mill in Queensland."

      'Tootle' are NOT the producers of the kit, but a couple of crisp photos of their rendition of the prototype may be found at:-

      I understand that the 7mm. and 1/32 versions will incorporate considerable additional detail.

      Excellent scale drawings plus prototype photos and notes about these Malcolm Moore locos may be found in Roy Link's 'Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling Review’ No. 16 , 1993.  Pages 264 to 269.

      Mike South
      Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    • Kevin
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2006
        On 1/05/2006, at 2:13 PM, FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > I understand that a
        > very well known professional model maker has just finished working on
        > the masters for 7mm/1ft scale AND 1/32 scale kits of Australian
        > prototype Malcolm Moore 4-wheeled i/c locomotives.

        Hello folks, calling folks

        I've posted a couple of photographs of the Model Company's Malcolm
        Moore kits in the group's photos section. Both kits are basically
        pewter and brass castings, with a few pieces of brass wire, mesh,
        sheet, &c for detailing. The photo of the assembled kit is the 7mm
        scale version, while the photo of the raw castings shows most of the
        parts for the eminently more desirable, culturally-correct, 1:32-
        scale version. Missing from the photograph are the roof parts, as I'm
        building the sexier topless version of the locomotive, and the
        wheels. Stock 1:32-scale kits include a set of pewter wheels, so they
        can be assembled as mantelpiece static-display models, but no working
        mechanism. The instructions include suggestions for making a drive
        and the manufacturer is prepared to build batches of ready-to-run
        mechanisms if there is sufficient demand.

        The manufacturer was packing the first batch of 7mm scale kits today
        and the 1:32 scale kits should be ready in a week or so. The kits
        were developed in association with Bergs, in Sydney, Australia, but
        should also be available from other stockists of Model Company kits.
        Caboose Hobbies are the main US stockist and Branchlines generally
        stocks the MC railway kits in the UK. Make sure you get kit No 52.
        Kit No 51 is the 7mm scale version of the locomotive. If all else
        fails you can order direct from the manufacturer -- email
        <bernieofthebay@...> for details. As an indication, the local
        New Zealand price for the 1:32 scale unpowered kit is nzd106.00.

        Port Melbourne engineering firm Malcolm Moore Ltd built 92 of these
        2ft gauge locomotives for the Australian military from 1943. They
        weighed 3 tons and were powered by a Ford Mercury V8 engine and truck
        transmission, with a reversing box to allow 4 speeds in each
        direction. After World War II many were sold as surplus -- some were
        sold, unused, in their original boxes as late as the 1970s -- with
        more than 20 used in the Queensland sugar industry alone. Several
        have survived into preservation, although, sadly, none retain the
        flat head V8 engine. The excellent Light Railways magazine <http://
        www.lrrsa.org.au/> has published quite a bit on them over the years,
        most notably in issues 182 and 186 (the latter issue even includes,
        very sensibly, a 1:32-scale drawing). As Mike notes, they were also
        featured in issue 16 of the Review. Note, though, that the drawings
        published there seem to have suffered a bit of distortion somewhere
        along the way and need to be treated with care.

        Kevin Crosado
        De Selby Research