Swedish Diesel

  • Claus Nielsen
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2005
      Hello everyone!
      Since finishing the steam roller I have been working on Log Cabin's etched metal kit of the Swedish Sala W-8 diesel. I feel I have been taking a quantum leap in modelling skills - I have learned how to solder a loco body! I remember (its not that long ago...) seeing those awardwinning shiny and fancy loco models in magazines and a caption saying: "soldered up from bits of brass - no big deal" - and thinking I will never be able to do that. Now I have tried and it is up to you to pass judgement on my progress.

      So far I have managed to make frame and footplate as well as the rear plate. All without too much trouble. I have used the little tool EtchMate for bending the metal parts. Made by Mission Models the EtchMate is really a great help making bends accurately. For soldering I use an ordinary soldering iron. This weekend I'm working on the axleboxes - insanely complex tiny things composed of no less that five etchings, five brass rivets (and my own five homemade additions). I have attatched a snapshot of the frames still without axleboxes, though. More photos on http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gaz410/my_photos

      ...choose folder Sala W-8

      Hope this Christmas month leaves time left for your modelling projects

      ...Claus, Denmark