More Re: Fascinating Fowlers! (Unsolicited Testimonial)

  • Mike South
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3 5:14 PM
      Vincent Bradley asked:- "What is the advantage of this cylinder layout?"

      To quote from the relevant Patent application by the Fowler indirect drive's
      inventors, Alfred Greig and William Beadon:-

      "Our invention has for its object improvements in the construction of
      locomotive engines. The usual construction of locomotives is to drive direct
      from the cylinders to the crank shaft or driving axle. This arrangement is
      objectionable in small wheeled engines, inasmuch as it necessitates all the
      working parts of the engine to be too near the ground, and consequently
      subject to great wear and tear from the dirt and dust. We arrange the
      working parts so that the cylinder and crank shaft are placed considerably
      above the driving wheel axle...".

      To (mis) quote from the Editors of 'Engineering' (magazine) about another
      inventor's overly complicated solution to a simple problem*: "Whether it is
      worth going to so much difficulty for so little gain, is a matter upon which
      we and the inventor must agree to disagree".

      Mike South
      Calgary, Alberta, Canada

      * They were referring to J.B. Fell's patented 'masterplan' to eliminate ALL
      earthworks on narrow gauge light railways by building the entire line on top
      of a continuous viaduct of varying heights, according to the underlying
      terrain!
    • Vincent Bradley
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4 4:23 AM
        Thanks Mike, it is what I guessed. Some answers to problems are amazing.
        No consideration to the increased number of parts and consequently friction
        was given.
        Vincent Bradley, Cincinnati Ohio

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/1O6tlB/TM