Steam roller and driver

  • Claus Nielsen
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2005
      Hi all:
      I'm currently trying to finish the South Eastern Finecast Aveling & Porter steam roller. A great kit but rather complex due to the transmission on top of the boiler. The parts are well cast and I have not done much in the way of refining the kit. I have only replaced some small handwheels with etched versions and added some prominent rivets on the rear wheels.

      The driver for the steam roller has been a bigger challenge than the roller itself. I couldn't find a proper figure and although I actually bought a few resin figures they never looked right in the narrow confines of the roller's cab. At last I found a figure that would fit both the cab and my taste - the blacksmith from MK35. He had to undergo surgery to become a perfect fit at the controls. He was my first attempt at sculpting (nothing more than an arm, I know), so be gentle with the comments.

      I have attatched a photo of the figure in the roller's cab and one showing progress on the figure. More photos of the steam roller on the way as the project evolves.

    • henrix
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 11, 2005
        Hi Claus,

        Looking great! If you add a roof to it, it will look exactly as the one I climbed on as a child.

        /Henrik
[...]

      • Mark Stonbraker
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 11, 2005
          Hello All,

               Here is the site for those of you who want to build one.  They are beautiful models of beautiful machines.

          Regards,
          Mark Stonbraker

          http://mail.yahoo.com