figures

  • Gregory Wright
    Message 1 of 5 , May 8, 2005
      I am having a hard time finding anything but military figures at regional hobby shops.  I know civilian figures are out there, but i'm not finding them.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

      Greg Wright
      360-352-5386

      Yahoo! Mail
    • Craig Elliott
      Message 2 of 5 , May 8, 2005
        Hi Greg,

        Check the group messages from February 2005. There was quite a bit of
        discussion on figures at that time. Most of the finds seemed to be European
        in origin which might explain their absence in your local hobby shops.
        Messages # 4039, 4043, 4044...etc.

        I have also been looking high and low for non-military figures without
        much success. Most of them require quite a bit of rework. Even the
        civilians tend to be WWII vintage which makes their clothes way too modern
        for the turn of the century stuff I am after. Even WWI stuff is very rare.

        I bought some vintage plastic car kits that contained figures but the
        quality is poor. They are sitting so I am hoping to stuff them in cabs
        where they won't be too noticeable.

        I am considering just making my own figures from wax. I know this is
        old school but I remember doing this in HO as a kid by following articles
        in back issues Model Railroader. It was quite a chore in HO but it may
        prove much easier in 1:32. I think it was a John Allen article to narrow
        the vintage a bit. I don't have the article now.

        The basic idea was too take some soft stranded wire and bend it into the
        desired figure shape. Then dip it in wax repeatedly until you build up the
        desired thickness for the body parts. Then use knives and files to do the
        final shaping. The article used parafin but I find it a little soft and prone
        to breakage and melt damage even from the heat of your hand. You would
        be better off using a jewellers wax that you can get from a jeweller's supply
        store or a good craft store. The big benefit here is that you can shape the
        figure to suit your situation. You could also use heads that availble for
        airplane models and just add the bodies to them as described above.
        The heads are the tricky part to carve realistically.

        If you end up creating some masterpieces you could always make rubber
        molds and go into production for the rest of us. :-)

        Let me know how you make out.

        Regards,
        Craig

        Gregory Wright <gregorywright2002@...> wrote:
        I am having a hard time finding anything but military figures at regional hobby shops.  I know civilian figures are out there, but i'm not finding them.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

        Greg Wright
        360-352-5386

        Yahoo! Mail

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Craig Elliott
        Message 3 of 5 , May 8, 2005
          Greg,

          I found the issue with the original article on the web. I am going to check
          my stacks to see if I still have this issue. If I do I will scan and post the
          original article for the group. See below...

          Regards,
          Craig

          I am having a hard time finding anything but military figures at regional hobby shops.  I know civilian figures are out there, but i'm not finding them.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

          Greg Wright
          360-352-5386

          Yahoo! Mail

          Discover Yahoo!
          Use Yahoo! to plan a weekend, have fun online & more. Check it out!