Diorama photolink

  • Arnoud Bongaards
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 6 9:27 AM
      Hi all,

      Here a link to some first modelling/paintwork for a little 1:35
      buildingsite diorama. It will contain a Dutch steam-driven ramming
      device and a ng. track to convey building materials to the
      buildingsite.

      To get the feeling of things some basic modelling and some paintwork
      was undertaken....
      Next thing to do is built some track and rolling stock and the
      ramming device wich is shown roughly built and not painted in some
      photo's. The steamengine for the ram will be the greatest challenge...

      Most parts are Tamiya, Verlinden or home-made.
      After the diorama is finished (when will this be...?) it will find a
      place in the expo of the Decauville Spoorweg Museum.
      Still a lot of work to do!

      http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/a67b/album?.dir=/86d4&.src=ph

      Greetings from Holland,

      Arnoud Bongaards - Amsterdam,
      http://www.decauville.nl
    • Peter Ehrlin
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 11 12:04 AM
        Hi Arnoud!

        Thanks for sharing your photos. Great weathering techniques. I
        especially like the wood planking parts. Have to try and copy that.

        Keep on posting!

        //
        Peter Ehrlin

        --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "Arnoud Bongaards"
        <a67b@y...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > Here a link to some first modelling/paintwork for a little 1:35
        > buildingsite diorama. It will contain a Dutch steam-driven ramming
        > device and a ng. track to convey building materials to the
        > buildingsite.
        >
        > To get the feeling of things some basic modelling and some
        paintwork
        > was undertaken....
        > Next thing to do is built some track and rolling stock and the
        > ramming device wich is shown roughly built and not painted in some
        > photo's. The steamengine for the ram will be the greatest
        challenge...

        > Most parts are Tamiya, Verlinden or home-made.
        > After the diorama is finished (when will this be...?) it will find
        > place in the expo of the Decauville Spoorweg Museum.
        > Still a lot of work to do!
        >
        > http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/a67b/album?.dir=/86d4&.src=ph
        >
        > Greetings from Holland,
        >
        > Arnoud Bongaards - Amsterdam,
        > http://www.decauville.nl
      • Arnoud Bongaards
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 16 11:09 AM
          Hi Peter,

          The method i used on the wood is:
          First shape and mechanicly weather the balsa- or other modelling
          wood. Sand it down really well with very fine paper.

          Then paint it white with thinned (milky) acrylic paint. Let it dry.
          Maybe if it isn't totally white do it again. First gently sand away
          any upstanding woodfibres or splinters. They tend to get up when the
          wood gets wet.

          Then wash with different shades of brown and black oilpaint.
          The oils must be heavily thinned with a good thinner.
          Start with light (yellow)browns for new wood, light brown, darker
          brown and in the end eventually wash with black for weathered wood.
          Wipe away excess thinned paint with a cloth.
          You have to experiment with colours, thinning etc..

          Then highlight the planks and beams or sleepers.
          Very lightly sand again with very fine paper, just enough to make the
          white undercoat visable at (the) edges. Be carefull: if the original
          wood comes through the effect is ruined.

          Plastic wood imitation can be painted in the same way.

          Have fun!

          Thanks and regards,

          Arnoud

          http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/a67b/my_photos

          http://www.decauville.nl

          Sand itand Paint--- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "Peter
          Ehrlin" <ehrpet@s...> wrote:

          > Hi Arnoud!
          >
          > Thanks for sharing your photos. Great weathering techniques. I
          > especially like the wood planking parts. Have to try and copy that.
          >
          > Keep on posting!
          >
          > //
          > Peter Ehrlin
          >

          > --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "Arnoud Bongaards"
          > <a67b@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > Here a link to some first modelling/paintwork for a little 1:35
          > > buildingsite diorama. It will contain a Dutch steam-driven
          ramming
          > > device and a ng. track to convey building materials to the
          > > buildingsite.
          > >
          > > To get the feeling of things some basic modelling and some
          > paintwork
          > > was undertaken....
          > > Next thing to do is built some track and rolling stock and the
          > > ramming device wich is shown roughly built and not painted in
          some
          > > photo's. The steamengine for the ram will be the greatest
          > challenge...
          > >
          > > Most parts are Tamiya, Verlinden or home-made.
          > > After the diorama is finished (when will this be...?) it will
          find
          > > place in the expo of the Decauville Spoorweg Museum.
          > > Still a lot of work to do!
          > >
          > > http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/a67b/album?.dir=/86d4&.src=ph
          > >
          > > Greetings from Holland,
          > >
          > > Arnoud Bongaards - Amsterdam,
          > > http://www.decauville.nl
        • Les Coleman
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 17 9:11 AM
            That's a method I must try Arnoud. The results are excellent! I've
            always tried to use stained/weathered real wood in the larger scale of
            1:24 but your method is so obviously the way to go in 1:35. Thanks for
            the very full explanation.

            Les.
            >>> a67b@... 16/03/05 19:09:07 >>>

            Ehrlin" <ehrpet@s...> wrote:

            > Hi Arnoud!
            >
            > Thanks for sharing your photos. Great weathering techniques. I
            > especially like the wood planking parts. Have to try and copy that.
            >
            > Keep on posting!
            >
            > //
            > Peter Ehrlin
            >

            > --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "Arnoud Bongaards"
            > <a67b@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi all,
            > >
            > > Here a link to some first modelling/paintwork for a little 1:35
            > > buildingsite diorama. It will contain a Dutch steam-driven
            ramming
            > > device and a ng. track to convey building materials to the
            > > buildingsite.
            > >
            > > To get the feeling of things some basic modelling and some
            > paintwork
            > > was undertaken....
            > > Next thing to do is built some track and rolling stock and the
            > > ramming device wich is shown roughly built and not painted in
            some
            > > photo's. The steamengine for the ram will be the greatest
            > challenge...
            > >
            > > Most parts are Tamiya, Verlinden or home-made.
            > > After the diorama is finished (when will this be...?) it will
            find
            > > place in the expo of the Decauville Spoorweg Museum.
            > > Still a lot of work to do!
            > >
            > > http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/a67b/album?.dir=/86d4&.src=ph
            > >
            > > Greetings from Holland,
            > >
            > > Arnoud Bongaards - Amsterdam,
            > > http://www.decauville.nl

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Yahoo! Groups Links
            To visit your group on the web, go to:

            This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please email us.
            Any views expressed are not necessarily the views of Wealden District Council unless stated.
          • Arnoud Bongaards
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 17 4:10 PM
              Les,

              I forgot to add that sanding in the end to get the highlights allso
              can be done by scraping (whith a hobbyknife) That works great too...

              gr Arnoud

              --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "Les Coleman"
              <les.coleman@w...> wrote:
> [...]
              > > >
              > > > Hi all,
              > > >
              > > > Here a link to some first modelling/paintwork for a little 1:35
              > > > buildingsite diorama. It will contain a Dutch steam-driven
              > ramming
              > > > device and a ng. track to convey building materials to the
              > > > buildingsite.
              > > >
              > > > To get the feeling of things some basic modelling and some
              > > paintwork
              > > > was undertaken....
              > > > Next thing to do is built some track and rolling stock and the
              > > > ramming device wich is shown roughly built and not painted in
              > some
              > > > photo's. The steamengine for the ram will be the greatest
              > > challenge...
              > > >
              > > > Most parts are Tamiya, Verlinden or home-made.
              > > > After the diorama is finished (when will this be...?) it will
              > find
              > > > place in the expo of the Decauville Spoorweg Museum.

              Service.

              > This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security
              System.

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 18 12:54 AM
                Hi Arnoud!

                Thanks for the detailed info about your finishing and weathering
                techniques. Interesting about the highlightning.

                Working with real wood can give wonderful results.

                I wouldn't have thought about painting the wood with milky white
                paint first, and then wash with oils. That was a new method.
                However, when I've been doing a couple of 1:35 scale houses resently
                I have sprayed them with white paint as a base (Citadel Skull White)
                before applying the correct color.

                The mechanical weathering of your wood looks also very convincing.

                //
                Peter