Re: [FS32NGModelrail] Hendy Dump Car

  • Craig Elliott
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 24, 2005
      Hi Les,

      Sounds like you are having some fun.
      I typically use a scriber to mark brass.
      I also have a cheap digital caliper that I use to scribe parallel to edges.
      I set the distance I want on the caliper and then lock the position with
      the thumb screw. Using one point of the caliper as a guide I mark with the
      other. It is great for straight cuts and marking holes from two edges. The
      hardened steel point holds up well on the soft brass but I wouldn't do this
      with an expensive caliper since it may tend to degrade its performance.
      Kind of like using a spanner as a hammer.

      Regards,
      Craig

      Les Coleman <les.coleman@...> wrote:
      Craig, I've just started, but so far only on frameworks. E.g. I built
      the canopy frame for a 1:24 scale Lister Railtruck from brass angle and
      tube, then I  soldered up the cab framework for a 1:35 scale fireless
      loco from square section brass tube. In both it seemed the best way to
      get the strength needed in such spindly structures. Had a couple of
      solder joints fail but now I've got some better (liquid) flux. Before
      that I was using plumbers paste flux, just because I had some! We live
      and learn. I haven't tried modelling with brass sheet yet but I intend
      to soon. Although I haven't got a mini gas torch or a resistance
      soldering tool, just an old soldering iron, I was surprised how easily I
      was able to hold the pieces in the right position until the solder
      cooled, usually with  drawing pins (thumb tacks) driven into a wooden
      modelling board. Before I started I'd thought I would need three hands!
      Squaring the tube ends was a doddle using the face of a slitting disk in
      my mini drill. So I'm much encouraged and intend to continue.

      Do you mark brass for cutting with a scriber or is there something
      which will draw on it?

      Les.

      >>> craigelliott142@... 23/02/05 21:07:58 >>>
      Hi Les,

      Thanks for the tips and the praise.
      Have you had a chance to try some brass?

      Craig

      Les Coleman <les.coleman@...> wrote:
      Great modelling Craig. You really captured the prototype. For painting
      metal,  I clean up the surface (I've had an aerosol can of electrical
      switch cleaner for so many years I can't remember where I got it...)
      then spray with either grey or red oxide aerosol car primer as a base
      layer. Ought to work on a brass model, I would think. The red oxide
      has
      the advantage that it's a good basis for a rust effect, for which I
      usually use Carrs weathering powders sprinkled/brushed on while the
      paint is still wet.

      Les.

      >>> craigelliott142@... 21/02/05 21:46:58 >>>

      Hi Guys,

      I just posted some photos of a Joshua Hendy style dump car
      that I finished on the weekend. The model is 1/32n20 and is
      entirely scratch built except for the HO wheelsets from Walthers.
      I also included some proto photos of a car in Death Valley at the
      Borax Museum that was the inspiration for the model. The folder
      is called "Hendy Dump Car". I enjoyed this little project but I
      am not looking forward to the rest of the fleet as fondly. :|

      If anyone is interested I will post the plans for the car once
      I make some corrections to match the model.

      Does anyone have or know where I can find good instructions for
      painting brass?

      Happy Modeling to all.

      Regards,
      Craig

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      Get unlimited calls to
      U.S./Canada
      Yahoo! Groups Links
      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      addressed. If you have received this email in error please email us.
      Any views expressed are not necessarily the views of Wealden District
      Council unless stated.

      Yahoo! Sports -  Sign up for Fantasy Baseball.

      This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please email us.
      Any views expressed are not necessarily the views of Wealden District Council unless stated.

      http://mail.yahoo.com