Re: [FS32NGModelrail] Bachmann Shay to 1/32 or 1/35

  • Gregory Wright
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
      Randy and Craig,  I too just got a bachman shay.  I cut off the pilots and put new ones on with Kadee O scale couplers.  I use O scale Kadees on all my rolling stock so operations are easy.  I cut the cab down to the window sill and left part of the front wall intact.  I will build a wooden cab, just big enough for an engineer to stand in.  As for the tender, I'm not sure if I will rebuild it or not.  The whistle, bell and a few other detasils will get done too.  Right now I am running it with the new pilots and an open cab until I get around to the other work.  It runs great, had plenty of room for a decoder and pulls just fine.  A friend has the climax in On30 and it should work too.

      Craig Elliott <craigelliott142@...> wrote:
      Randy,

      I have a On30 shay and it is on my list of 1/32 projects.
      I am planning to replace the cab, tender and pilots
      and leave the rest as is. I can send you plans/photos
      when I have them completed.

      Regards,
      Craig

      Randy Bachmann <r.bachmann@...> wrote:

      Has anyone converted a Bachmann On30 shay to 1/32 or 1/35 scale?

      Randy

      Do you Yahoo!?

      Greg Wright
      360-352-5386

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Randy Bachmann
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1 9:54 AM
        Hi Craig,

        That would be great. Thanks for the response.

        Randy

        --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, Craig Elliott
        <craigelliott142@y...> wrote:
        > Randy,
        >
        > I have a On30 shay and it is on my list of 1/32 projects.
        > I am planning to replace the cab, tender and pilots
        > and leave the rest as is. I can send you plans/photos
        > when I have them completed.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Craig
        >
        > Randy Bachmann <r.bachmann@c...> wrote:
        >
        > Has anyone converted a Bachmann On30 shay to 1/32 or 1/35 scale?
        >
        > Randy

      • Craig Elliott
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1 10:36 AM
          Guys,

          Pete McParlan from backwoods miniatures sells a dress up kit for the
          On30 shay that has an open cab. It would be a nice starting point for
          conversion since the cab posts could simply be extended for more
          1/32 head room. From the photos it would be an easy scratch too.

          Craig