Bachmann Shay to 1/32 or 1/35

  • Randy Bachmann
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
      Has anyone converted a Bachmann On30 shay to 1/32 or 1/35 scale?

      Randy
    • Craig Elliott
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
        Randy,

        I have a On30 shay and it is on my list of 1/32 projects.
        I am planning to replace the cab, tender and pilots
        and leave the rest as is. I can send you plans/photos
        when I have them completed.

        Regards,
        Craig

        Randy Bachmann <r.bachmann@...> wrote:

        Has anyone converted a Bachmann On30 shay to 1/32 or 1/35 scale?

        Randy

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Gregory Wright
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 31, 2005
          Randy and Craig,  I too just got a bachman shay.  I cut off the pilots and put new ones on with Kadee O scale couplers.  I use O scale Kadees on all my rolling stock so operations are easy.  I cut the cab down to the window sill and left part of the front wall intact.  I will build a wooden cab, just big enough for an engineer to stand in.  As for the tender, I'm not sure if I will rebuild it or not.  The whistle, bell and a few other detasils will get done too.  Right now I am running it with the new pilots and an open cab until I get around to the other work.  It runs great, had plenty of room for a decoder and pulls just fine.  A friend has the climax in On30 and it should work too.

          Craig Elliott <craigelliott142@...> wrote:
          Randy,

          I have a On30 shay and it is on my list of 1/32 projects.
          I am planning to replace the cab, tender and pilots
          and leave the rest as is. I can send you plans/photos
          when I have them completed.

          Regards,
          Craig

          Randy Bachmann <r.bachmann@...> wrote:

          Has anyone converted a Bachmann On30 shay to 1/32 or 1/35 scale?

          Randy

          Do you Yahoo!?

          Greg Wright
          360-352-5386

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • Randy Bachmann
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
            Hi Craig,

            That would be great. Thanks for the response.

            Randy

            --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, Craig Elliott
            <craigelliott142@y...> wrote:
            > Randy,
            >
            > I have a On30 shay and it is on my list of 1/32 projects.
            > I am planning to replace the cab, tender and pilots
            > and leave the rest as is. I can send you plans/photos
            > when I have them completed.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Craig
            >
            > Randy Bachmann <r.bachmann@c...> wrote:
            >
            > Has anyone converted a Bachmann On30 shay to 1/32 or 1/35 scale?
            >
            > Randy

          • Craig Elliott
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2005
              Guys,

              Pete McParlan from backwoods miniatures sells a dress up kit for the
              On30 shay that has an open cab. It would be a nice starting point for
              conversion since the cab posts could simply be extended for more
              1/32 head room. From the photos it would be an easy scratch too.

              Craig