Re: [FS32NGModelrail] New Member

  • Les Coleman
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 31, 2005
      I must have a try. It's cutting the stuff without it distorting which
      puts me off. Re. figures, I agree with Claus, 1:35 tank crews make a
      good starting point because they're often not holding any weapons, and
      you
      can get standing and seated figures in the same kit for modest prices.

      Les.
      >>> craigelliott142@... 31/01/05 17:03:57 >>>
      Les,

      Thanks for the encouragement. I don't find brass much more difficult
      than
      plastic it just takes a little longer to setup the joints for the torch
      instead of
      the glue bottle. I must admit that the level of satisfaction is worth
      the extra time.

      Thanks for the tip on the figures, I will check it out.

      Regards,
      Craig

      Les Coleman <les.coleman@...> wrote:
      Very nice modelling Craig. I wish I was as skilled in brass
      construction. If you live in the UK, Britains Ltd made/make a range of
      1:32 scale civilian figures, plus farm animals, to go with their 1:32
      farm vehicles etc., as well as all the military figures they produced.
      Were available from toyshops but I haven't looked for some time. They
      may be available second-hand on Ebay - worth a try, or try searching
      for
      "Britains Ltd 1:32 figures" on Google. Being made of a hard sort of
      polythene they tend to be long-lasting and they are paintable.

      Les.

      >>> craigelliott142@... 31/01/05 03:06:35 >>>

      Hello All,

      My name is Craig Elliott and I am new to your group.
      I am currently modelling in 1/32n20 and I have a
      10' x 12' layout under construction.

      I have uploaded some photos of a Battery Loco that
      I built over the Christmas Holidays. It started out
      as an MDC Critter but I only used the mechanism.
      I plan on painting it some day when I get tired of
      the shiny brass look.

      Here is the link to the photos...

      +Loco&.src=gr&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/

      If anyone could direct me to some 1/32 scale figures that don't
      have any weapons attached to them I would appreciate it.

      Regards,
      Craig

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      addressed. If you have received this email in error please email us.
      Any views expressed are not necessarily the views of Wealden District
      Council unless stated.

      This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please email us.
      Any views expressed are not necessarily the views of Wealden District Council unless stated.
    • Craig Elliott
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 31, 2005
        Les,

        I use a small brass hammer and a surface plate to flatten distorted sheets.
        It is also a nice way to get a little "weathering" into the brass making it
        look more like a well used piece of sheetmetal. I also use a pencil torch
        almost exclusively for soldering. With proper heatsinking it is the fastest and most localized approach I have tried short of an expensive resistance unit.

        Let me know how you make out.

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Les Coleman
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 1, 2005
          Thanks for the info Craig. Sorry to keep on but what do you usually use
          to cut thin brass with, shears of some kind or a saw?

          Les.

          >>> craigelliott142@... 31/01/05 18:10:40 >>>
[...]

          Service.

          addressed. If you have received this email in error please email us.
          Any views expressed are not necessarily the views of Wealden District
          Council unless stated.

          Yahoo! Mail - Find what you need with new enhanced search. Learn
          more.

          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 1, 2005
            Les,

            Wiltshire Stay Sharp Scissors. They come in a 3 pack here for $8.99 CDN.
            I use the largest pair for long continuous cuts and the smaller pairs for
            detailed cuts. Any brand of stay sharp style kitchen scissors will work
            but I recommend that you get your own since the ones in the kitchen
            will probably be missed. :-)

            I also use a sheetmetal nibbling tool for notching and inside cuts.

            The nibbler is also at Micro Mark. I got mine from Mcmaster Carr and
            it is not exactly as shown at the link but the function is the same.

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Les Coleman
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 2, 2005
              Thanks again for all the info Craig. I'm determined to try brass, as
              card is a little fragile for exhibition use and I don't get on too well
              with plasticard.

              Les.

              >>> craigelliott142@... 01/02/05 18:21:20 >>>
              Les,

              Wiltshire Stay Sharp Scissors. They come in a 3 pack here for $8.99
              CDN.
              I use the largest pair for long continuous cuts and the smaller pairs
              for
              detailed cuts. Any brand of stay sharp style kitchen scissors will
              work
              but I recommend that you get your own since the ones in the kitchen
              will probably be missed. :-)

              I also use a sheetmetal nibbling tool for notching and inside cuts.

              Link to scissors: http://www.mysale.ca/sales/33744.html

              Link to Nibble Tool:
              http://www.midlandcomputers.co.uk/default.asp?area=prodview&prodid=1528

[...]

            • Glenn White
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 6, 2005
                Aloha,

                I'm returning to model railroading and are starting to model 2 ft narrow guage in the
                Hawaiian Islands. Many years ago I modeled in N Guage, Sn2 and 20.3 Guage (G), but w/
                limited space and old age, I have determined that 1/35 Scale is a good compromise.
                Looking forward to finding good info to help me model and contribute to your group.

                Aloha Nui Loa,
                Glenn White sends.....
              • Neil Erickson
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 9, 2005
                  Welcome to the Hawaiian contingent! Over here on "the
                  wet side" of the Big Island we had a couple of two
                  footers. Kawai had several 30" guage railways. I've
                  been working on a 2'-1/32" scale "module" and look
                  forward to sharing it with the group.

                  Neil

                  http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250