Re: [FS32NGModelrail] Re: Source for Phosphor Bronze Sheet?

  • Mark Stonbraker
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 14, 2004
      Thanks Jim!!!

      Regards,
      Mark
      --- Jim Roberts <gesagstahagen@...> wrote:

      > Hi Mark,
      >
      > Try Clover House http://www.cloverhouse.com/ They
      > have a few
      > thicknesses.
      >
      > If he doesn't have what you need you can try
      > McMaster-Carr (a big
      > industrial supplier) at http://www.mcmaster.com/ and
      > do a search on
      > Bronze.
      >
      > There are a few other places to try but I can't
      > think of them off
      > the top of my head.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Jim Roberts
      > Carol Stream, IL USA
      >
      > --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "Mark L.
      > Stonbraker"
      > <stoney17111@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello Group,
      > >
      > > Its time I start on some of my planned
      > 1/35-1/36 scale model
      > > projects that I have been sitting on. Does anyone
      > know where I
      > can
      > > find phosphor Bronze sheet in various thickness?
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Mark Stonbraker

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Lennart Elg
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 18, 2004
        --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "mdrailbaron" <sjfisher@i...>
        wrote:
        > BTW, I have started building some 3/8n40, so far two flats, two box,
        > and a caboose are all under construction. Waiting for my O scale
        > trucks to show up. See you Jan 8th at WVARB's.

        Steve,

        What are your plans for motive power? 3/8n40 is a neat size, and I
        have enjoyed Gordon North´s forays into this territory. I have a
        bunch of "O" scale Athearn arch-bars laying around, but there are not
        that many cheap locos around to slaughter..

        Lennart Elg
      • mdrailbaron
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 18, 2004
          Good afternoon Len,
          I am using the O scale Atlas 6 wheel Plymouth for motive power. I
          have pulled the middle driver and will rework the frame. I expect I
          will build one to appoximate one of the bashes that Gordon did. One
          of our Tuesday night guys owns it and the reworked On3 Grandt Porter
          that Dick Christ did.
          GW Henderson has ordered us some of the old archbar trucks and hope
          to have them on Tuesday night. I have a bunch of old weathered
          lattice strips that I am cutting up for ties, can't beat natural
          weathering. I purchased one turnout from Old Pullman to take a look
          at that and will scratch build the rest.
          I thought about getting out of On30 after 30+ years but the pressure
          was to great from the other train folks that I hang with. I think
          that once I get through Christmas I will start building the modules.
          I agree with you this is a really neat gauge and scale and hopefully
          it won't get crowded the way On30 did. I wonder how many other folks
          out there are modeling in this?
          Steve

          --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "Lennart Elg" <lenelg@y...> wrote:

          > --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "mdrailbaron" <sjfisher@i...>
          > wrote:
          > > BTW, I have started building some 3/8n40, so far two flats, two box,
          > > and a caboose are all under construction. Waiting for my O scale
          > > trucks to show up. See you Jan 8th at WVARB's.
          >
          > Steve,
          >
          > What are your plans for motive power? 3/8n40 is a neat size, and I
          > have enjoyed Gordon North´s forays into this territory. I have a
          > bunch of "O" scale Athearn arch-bars laying around, but there are not
          > that many cheap locos around to slaughter..
          >
          > Lennart Elg
        • Lee Snover
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 18, 2004
            Re: [FS32NGModelrail] Re: 3/8n40 .. on 12/18/04 3:50 PM, henrix at henrix@... wrote:

            Hi Steve,

            Do you know where Atlas O-scale locos could be bought on the net?
            I had also thought of using 32mm tracks not only for 16mm scale or now
            latest 78n18, but also for 1:24 scale, making 768mm gauge. I read Lennart
            Elg asked the same on another list (or was it this one...)

            LeeTown Models   15 Adams Street  Belvidere, NJ 07823  USA
            Ph. 908 475-4404  Fax: 908 475-4109  E-mail: leesnover@...
              New, in stock:
            Car and Locomotive Shop has now released the new German side rod diesel* (an LKM hydraulic),  and 2  V tip car set in 16MM scale, 2' gauge. (1.25" track gauge)  Price is $499.95 plus $8.00 UPS delivery, insured. in USA.

            *Chassis colors are Black, or Red with black highlights. (Specify which when ordering). Sprung chassis, working lights, full cab interior, 9v battery powered, with speed and direction controls.  All models are brass, factory painted, of course.* Body Yellow.  9" min. radius!
            Additional V tips are available separetely in dark gray (black), light gray and dusky red.  Each has the "four hole" style wheels.
            Cars are: 1 or 2: $74.50 ea.   3 to 5:  $69.50 ea.  6 or more: $64.50 ea.

            Specify color of cars wanted when ordering the Loco/car set.

            Can use any 9v Transistor radio or smoke alarm type battery. Reg. or rechargeable.  (sorry, battery not included.. Would probably cause shipping problems)
          • henrix

              I am using the O scale Atlas 6 wheel Plymouth for motive power. I
              have pulled the middle driver and will rework the frame. I expect I
              will build one to appoximate one of the bashes that Gordon did. One
              of our Tuesday night guys owns it and the reworked On3 Grandt Porter
              that Dick Christ did.
              GW Henderson has ordered us some of the old archbar trucks and hope
              to have them on Tuesday night. I have a bunch of old weathered
              lattice strips that I am cutting up for ties, can't beat natural
              weathering. I purchased one turnout from Old Pullman to take a look
              at that and will scratch build the rest.
              I thought about getting out of On30 after 30+ years but the pressure
              was to great from the other train folks that I hang with. I think
              that once I get through Christmas I will start building the modules.
              I agree with you this is a really neat gauge and scale and hopefully
              it won't get crowded the way On30 did. I wonder how many other folks
              out there are modeling in this?
              Steve

              --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "Lennart Elg" <lenelg@y...> wrote:

              > --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "mdrailbaron" <sjfisher@i...>
              > wrote:
              > > BTW, I have started building some 3/8n40, so far two flats, two box,
              > > and a caboose are all under construction. Waiting for my O scale
              > > trucks to show up. See you Jan 8th at WVARB's.
              >
              > Steve,
              >
              > What are your plans for motive power? 3/8n40 is a neat size, and I
              > have enjoyed Gordon North´s forays into this territory. I have a
              > bunch of "O" scale Athearn arch-bars laying around, but there are not
              > that many cheap locos around to slaughter..
              >
              > Lennart Elg

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • henrix
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 18, 2004
                Sound a bit expensive for just needing the chassie.. Could I order that
                alone, and for how much? Do you have a site there I can check all this?
                Brandbright at www.brandbright.co.uk have a nice power bogie for about
                150$, but they only have one type, thats why I asked. This is also mainly
                for 16mm scale and a bit simple in design. I would hope for some O scale
                deasant looking, suitable for kit-bashing.
                /Henrik

                > Do you know where Atlas O-scale locos could be bought on the net?
                > I had also thought of using 32mm tracks not only for 16mm scale or now
                > latest 78n18, but also for 1:24 scale, making 768mm gauge. I read Lennart
                > Elg asked the same on another list (or was it this one...)
                >
                > LeeTown Models 15 Adams Street Belvidere, NJ 07823 USA
                > Ph. 908 475-4404 Fax: 908 475-4109 E-mail: leesnover@...
                > New, in stock:
                > Car and Locomotive Shop has now released the new German side rod diesel*
                (an
                > LKM hydraulic), and 2 V tip car set in 16MM scale, 2' gauge. (1.25"
                track
                > gauge) Price is $499.95 plus $8.00 UPS delivery, insured. in USA.
                >
                > *Chassis colors are Black, or Red with black highlights. (Specify which
                when
                > ordering). Sprung chassis, working lights, full cab interior, 9v battery
                > powered, with speed and direction controls. All models are brass, factory
                > painted, of course.* Body Yellow. 9" min. radius!
                > Additional V tips are available separetely in dark gray (black), light
                gray
                > and dusky red. Each has the "four hole" style wheels.
                > Cars are: 1 or 2: $74.50 ea. 3 to 5: $69.50 ea. 6 or more: $64.50 ea.
                >
                > Specify color of cars wanted when ordering the Loco/car set.
                >
                > Can use any 9v Transistor radio or smoke alarm type battery. Reg. or
                > rechargeable. (sorry, battery not included.. Would probably cause
                shipping
                > problems)

              • mdrailbaron
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 18, 2004
                  Good evening Henrik, Lee, and list,
                  Henrik, John Weigel gave me two of them, something that he has had
                  for a long time. I think they can be had off of EBay and also you
                  might check the O scale list and ask this question.
                  Lee offers many fine items and they are gems, but you are right that
                  is a bit pricey to just use a part of the unit or hack it up to fit
                  your needs. The same with the Rich Yoder models all fine stuff in O
                  scale but to expensive to re do, which is a shame. I did write to a
                  guy that is taking the old 3 rail stuff and reworking it, but he is a
                  machinist and it takes more work then it would be worth, plus way pass
                  my abilities.
                  There are some other used O scale mech's that can be found at train
                  shows that might work. Since I am doing just a series of modules the
                  two loco's that I have will suffice. I might build a motor car out of
                  the NWSL "Magic Carpet" drive at some point in time, but I have a lot
                  to get done before I reach that stage. My first love is On30,
                  something that I have been doing since the 1970's, 3/8 is something
                  that I saw a number of years ago and can't forget. Much like a
                  beautiful women, just not as expensive or dangerous.
                  Have a wonderful winter solstice.
                  steve

                • Gregory Wright
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 19, 2004

                    mdrailbaron <sjfisher@...> wrote:

                    Good evening Henrik, Lee, and list,
                    Henrik, John Weigel gave me two of them, something that he has had
                    for a long time.  I think they can be had off of EBay and also you
                    might check the O scale list and ask this question.
                      Lee offers many fine items and they are gems, but you are right that
                    is a bit pricey to just use a part of the unit or hack it up to fit
                    your needs.  The same with the Rich Yoder models all fine stuff in O
                    scale but to expensive to re do, which is a shame.  I did write to a
                    guy that is taking the old 3 rail stuff and reworking it, but he is a
                    machinist and it takes more work then it would be worth, plus way pass
                    my abilities.
                      There are some other used O scale mech's that can be found at train
                    shows that might work.  Since I am doing just a series of modules the
                    two loco's that I have will suffice.  I might build a motor car out of
                    the NWSL "Magic Carpet" drive at some point in time, but I have a lot
                    to get done before I reach that stage.  My first love is On30,
                    something that I have been doing since the 1970's, 3/8 is something
                    that I saw a number of years ago and can't forget.  Much like a
                    beautiful women, just not as expensive or dangerous.
                    Have a wonderful winter solstice.
                    steve

                    --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "henrix" <henrix@t...> wrote:
                    > Sound a bit expensive for just needing the chassie.. Could I order that
                    > alone, and for how much? Do you have a site there I can check all this?
                    > Brandbright at www.brandbright.co.uk  have a nice power bogie for about
                    > 150$, but they only have one type, thats why I asked. This is also
                    mainly
                    > for 16mm scale and a bit simple in design. I would hope for some O scale
                    > deasant looking, suitable for kit-bashing.
                    > /Henrik

                    I don't know too much about the O scale mechanisms avaialble except those that i see at swap meets, but I sure do like 3/8 scale.  I am modelling 3/8 n 20 using HO scale mechansims and ther are a lot of those as you probably know.

                    Greg Wright
                    360-352-5386

                    Do you Yahoo!?
                    The all-new My Yahoo! � Get yours free!
                  • Vincent Bradley
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 20, 2004
                      Lennart,
                      How big a locomotive do you want? If an a 4 wheel diesel how about the
                      gearbox wheel combination use in the Weaver power trucks and sold by P and H
                      hobbies. There are two parts, one with a tower and gear box and one with a
                      gear box. Use a can motor with a flywheel to drive it.
                      You are right there are not a lot of engines. I picked up a Weaver RS 3 for
                      110 dollars that will power two critters.
                      Vincent

                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 20, 2004
                        While not 3/8n40, I have bashed several Atlas Plymouths and another friend
                        has done 6 or 7. The Atlas wheels are really crude and cause the track to
                        be crude also. If you have a lathe then the solution is to turn them to
                        RP25. If not then NWSL has wheels. I have powered one Plymouth with a FM
                        truck but would not recommend that route.
                        Vincent

                        I am using the O scale Atlas 6 wheel Plymouth for motive power. I
                        have pulled the middle driver and will rework the frame. I expect I
                        will build one to appoximate one of the bashes that Gordon did. One
                        of our Tuesday night guys owns it and the reworked On3 Grandt Porter
                        that Dick Christ did.
                        GW Henderson has ordered us some of the old archbar trucks and hope
                        to have them on Tuesday night. I have a bunch of old weathered
                        lattice strips that I am cutting up for ties, can't beat natural
                        weathering. I purchased one turnout from Old Pullman to take a look
                        at that and will scratch build the rest.
                        I thought about getting out of On30 after 30+ years but the pressure
                        was to great from the other train folks that I hang with. I think
                        that once I get through Christmas I will start building the modules.
                        I agree with you this is a really neat gauge and scale and hopefully
                        it won't get crowded the way On30 did. I wonder how many other folks
                        out there are modeling in this?
                        Steve

                        --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "Lennart Elg" <lenelg@y...> wrote:

                        > --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "mdrailbaron" <sjfisher@i...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > BTW, I have started building some 3/8n40, so far two flats, two box,
                        > > and a caboose are all under construction. Waiting for my O scale
                        > > trucks to show up. See you Jan 8th at WVARB's.
                        >
                        > Steve,
                        >
                        > What are your plans for motive power? 3/8n40 is a neat size, and I
                        > have enjoyed Gordon North´s forays into this territory. I have a
                        > bunch of "O" scale Athearn arch-bars laying around, but there are not
                        > that many cheap locos around to slaughter..
                        >
                        > Lennart Elg

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • horsthear@wmconnect.com
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 20, 2004
                          Does 3/8 convert to 1:37.5?  Always have problem with fractional scales.

                          Thanks

                          Horst Schmidt
                          Muskego WI USA
                        • Les Coleman
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 20, 2004
                            I believe 3/8 is spot on 1:32nd scale.

                            Les

                            >>> horsthear@... 20/12/04 14:23:30 >>>
                            Does 3/8 convert to 1:37.5? Always have problem with fractional
                            scales.

                            Thanks

                            Horst Schmidt
                            Muskego WI USA

                            This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please email us.
                            Any views expressed are not necessarily the views of Wealden District Council unless stated.
                          • Vincent Bradley

                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 20, 2004
                                Hi group,
                                math not being my strong suite, brain surgery either, but I was told
                                by Mr. 3/8n40 Dick Christ that 1/32 "stuff" is what will work for all
                                of the bits, pieces, and detail parts. Knowing that we can now wreck
                                havoc with the military groups. Tis a great day to be a model
                                railroader. Vincent, see you at the WVARB's meet, bring some 3/8
                                stuff if you have any.
                                Steve Fisher
                                MDRB
                                TOS