Rivet Counting

  • mears
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2004
      Hello all.

      Just curious for some feedback on technique.  For some time now when I need rivets on a  model, I take a length of very small diameter styrene rod, and heat the end until it melts and forms a "rivet head" (hold the rod close to the tip of a soldering iron...).  Then I drill a little hole, insert the rivet and glue.  Not that I mind the work involved in this process, but is there an easier way?

      Thanks
      Chris Mears
      Charlottetown, PEI
      RevolveRailways
    • Evan & Correne James
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2004
        Sure is an easier way. Use a nifty little tool called a rivetting machine.
        These simulate rivets (roofing nails or whatever) by putting an indentation
        in the material
        They have a male and female punch, and an adjustable donger to get a
        constant hit on the male punch. Most have adjustable stops so the rivets can
        be easily put at a constant distance apart, and the size of the rivet can be
        adjusted with different punch dies, and by adjusting the donger fall.

        evan