The Merck light railway

  • hartwig_meis
    Message 1 of 4 , May 26, 2004
      Group,

      for all of you who are interested in Oberursel locomotives,
      there is a nice book ( in german language ) featuring this little
      engines:
      Die Merk'sche "Kleinbahn" - Auf schmaler Spur in der chemischen Fabrik
      1901 -1960 )( The Merck light railway - on the narrow gauge in the
      chemical factory). Published in 2002 by the author, Berthold
      Matthaeus. 112 pages softbound. Size 20 by 30 cm. ISBN3-9805727-4-9.
      The author describes the 60 cm-gauge railway system, that served the
      departments of the Merck chemical factory at Darmstadt/Germany (near
      Frankfurt/M) in the first 6 decades of the last century. It was
      operated with an sheduled timetable (only goods traffic).
      Motive power was by 6 Oberursel and Oberursel-Deutz IC engines, some
      of them equipped with an Diesel-engine in their late days.
      There were about 350 cars (skips, flats, even some tiny two-truck
      covered waggons and homemade tiny tank-waggons).
      Dozens of photos not only show the engines and the rolling stock, but
      the vintage chemical factory as well! Looking at the pictures, the
      Merck light railway cries to be modelled!
      Author Berthold Matthaeus has added scale Drawings of all the engines
      (scale 1:32) of the different kinds of engines and some generic types
      of rolling stock.
      I have posted some pictures from the book in the photos section
      (Merck light railway).
      The book should be available by Karl Pascarb at
      www.schmalspurverlag.de (Price about 18 EUROs + shipping/handling).
      You can contact Karl at Karl.Paskarb@... .

      Regards
      Hartwig
    • bilwil@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 4 , May 26, 2004
        Fellas:

        This book is available (or at least was ...) in the U.S. from Mike
        Decker of Decker's trains. Sorry, I don't have his address handy, but
        he does have a website. That's where I got my copy. The pictures are
        all in English BTW <G>

        I especially loved all the photos of the little tank cars and such.
        Worth the price just for that! I thought it a fascinating industrial
        railway book.

        Bill Wilson
        Wazoo Island Ry.
      • Fackeldey, Herbert
        Message 3 of 4 , May 26, 2004
          I have the book, too, and it is fascinating. The author works for Merck and
          has acces to the archives, so he really knew what he was writing about. I
          would never have thought that a chemical works had such a large 60cm
          network.
          There is another book by the same author about quarry railways, "Feldbahnen
          der Odenwälder Hartsteinindustrie". As a modelling theme, quarry railways
          are more conventional, but the book still has lots of vintage photographs.

          Kind regards, Herbert Fackeldey
        • Andreas Faulwasser
          Message 4 of 4 , May 27, 2004
            Hi,

            there´s one thing i´ll have mention: The Merck light railway is with a
            safety of 99% a 500mm railway. The author Berthold Matthäus has done a
            little flyer in which he writes about his new informationen. And all
            this brings him to the result thaz the railway was 500mm.

            Greatings

            Andreas

            www.faulwasser.de