Re: [FS32NGModelrail] Articles

  • Mario Bernkopf
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2000
      Ray,

      Thanks very much for the two very informative articles. If you have more
      of these, please keep them coming.

      Since plywood is relatively expensive here in Germany (possibly Europe),
      I have developed a slight alternative to your design which I have used
      for quite some time now and which might be a bit cheaper:

      I use Styrofoam (the blue or green, smooth-surfaced variety) on a wooden
      grid. This automatically gives me a module size of 2 by 4 feet. Two
      1-1/2" sheets of foam are glued on top of a grid made of 1" by 1" wood
      slats, basically to the same design as your fig. 3. The foam is flat and
      quite stable. It accepts white glue (straight for ties, diluted for
      ground cover) without problems. If you are like me and give your ties a
      first coat of Floquil, nice little dimples develop around your ties from
      the solvent, but the white glue underneath the ties seems to shield the
      foam from attack and saves them from floating in free space. More foam
      is stacked for scenery. Holes for electric wiring, trees etc. are easily
      punched with anything pointed (my wife was quite shocked when she first
      saw me attacking a freshly built module with a Swiss needle file). Due
      to the inherent strength of the foam the wooden grid serves more or less
      as a distance holder, which gives some space underneath the foam for
      wiring etc.

      All in all I am quite pleased with this type of construction. It can't
      be too bad since three of my modules survived a move from Germany to
      Russia and then on to France without damage to the structure (not
      STRUCTURES as one of the packers on the first round was an alcoholic who
      just stuffed one of the modules upright into a moving carton. He has
      been laboring since under a voodoo curse).

      Regards... Mario

    • RL1962@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2000
        Mario,
        I haven't got anything specific in mind just now but am sure to come up with
        something, eventually. I'm glad you liked the articles, lots of fun to write
        and even more fun to her encouraging words about.

        Once or twice I've used the system you described for benchwork and consider
        it a reasonable alternative. I didn't like laying track onto the Styrofoam
        board however, too much flex for spiking so I prefer a more traditional
        approach using 1/2 ply sub-roadbed with cork or homasote directly under the
        ties/sleepers. This makes for a more rigid construction, although at a
        substantial increase in cost over your system. In honesty I must confess
        that the cost is of only slight concern to me, my choices are made with more
        consideration given the end product than the cost of achieving it. Besides
        with my system of benchwork it is possible to construct up to four individual
        modules from a single sheet of plywood with material remaining for other
        uses, and at only $25 a sheet I count it a bargain. Finally with the ends
        only supported I can sit my 165lbs. in the middle of a module without an
        excessive amount of flexing and no creaking or cracking. Knowing this it may
        be worth considerring a narrower web than the 2" one that I use, an inch and
        a half perhaps?

        Well, thanks again,

        Ray