detatchable buildings

  • Claus Nielsen
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 11 12:59 AM
      I'm currently trying to figure out how to make my loco shed detatchable and still not show the dreaded line between wall and foundation. I have been thinking about making a below-ground foundation and build the ground cover 'up' around the shed so that grass and earth can comuflage the gap without the building getting 'stuck'.

      Do you have any suggestions - I'm doing it for the first time...

      Work on my module is progressing - I have laid my first hand spiked track and it wasn't too difficult.

    • Bill Cooke <bcooke@chubb.com>
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 11 7:33 AM
        Claus,

        Since, in a typical building, the siding actually projects slightly
        outside the foundation, you could simply "overlap" the siding just
        outside the foundation itself. This way, the building would "key" to
        the foundation. I suspect that just a small amount of overlap would
        be needed, say 1/16" or so. I have used this technique successfully
        for quite a while, and it looks authentic.

        - Bill Cooke

        --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "Claus Nielsen" <clni@a...>
        wrote:
        > I'm currently trying to figure out how to make my loco shed
        detatchable and still not show the dreaded line between wall and
        foundation. I have been thinking about making a below-ground
        foundation and build the ground cover 'up' around the shed so that
        grass and earth can comuflage the gap without the building
        getting 'stuck'.

      • O&M Schouwstra & Van Barneveld
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 12 1:47 AM
          Hello Claus,

          I wrap the underside in thin 'household'plastic (the plastic you use to wrap food in for the fridge). Then I 'build' the ground around it. For that I use materials from the garden fixed with diluted colorles wood varnish. After thoroughly drying you can lift out the loco shed. A second treatment of the edges with the varnish will make them stronger, more 'crumble resistant'.

          Best wishes, Otto.
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 12 4:16 AM
            Hi Claus!

            I'm just about to begin laying hand-spiked track on a 1:35 scale
            module that I'm currently working on. I'm just wondering how you did.
            What material and technique did you use and so on.

            I really admire your work that you show up in this forum and you seem
            to do everything properly. I just recently asked the same question on
            another discussion group for narrow gauge modelling and got a couple
            of useful tips but I think you can never get too much useful advises.

            //Peter Ehrlin