Telegraph and power wires

  • Claus Nielsen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 10, 2002
      All:

      What do you use for telephone or power wires? I'm not inclined to use thin copperwire or thread and I think I have once heard of a (German?) product made of flexible material that could be used for wires.

      Can any shed more light on this?

    • Lindsay Thompson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 10, 2002
        Use monofilament used in fishing lines. You can get it in any thickness you like

        What do you use for telephone or power wires? I'm not inclined to use thin copperwire or thread and I think I have once heard of a (German?) product made of flexible material that could be used for wires.

        Can any shed more light on this?

      • the_forest_lumber
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 10, 2002
          Hi Claus
          try using sewing tread difrent thicknes works for me !

          Reagards Vlady
        • Dave Eggleston
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 10, 2002
            Seems that this would be too fuzzy.

            I've seen a local layout that uses wire, very fine
            piano wire, painted and cut to fit between the
            insulators in tension. That way, if it's hit, it pops
            out harmlessly.

            Dave
            --- the_forest_lumber <the_forest_lumber@...>
            wrote:
            > Hi Claus
            > try using sewing tread difrent thicknes works for me
            > !

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • B.Rumary
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 10, 2002
              Claus Nielsen wrote:

              > What do you use for telephone or power wires? I'm not inclined to
              > use thin copperwire or thread and I think I have once heard of a
              > (German?) product made of flexible material that could be used for
              > wires.

              There was a firm in England offering a special thread for modelling
              phone lines, etc. I believe it was monofilament Lycra and the idea was
              that if you snagged it with your coat or arm, it would just stretch and
              then spring back without snapping. However I can't remember who was
              selling it!

              Brian Rumary, England

              http://freespace.virgin.net/brian.rumary/homepage.htm
            • B.Rumary
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 10, 2002
                Claus Nielsen wrote:

                > What do you use for telephone or power wires? I'm not inclined to
                > use thin copperwire or thread and I think I have once heard of a
                > (German?) product made of flexible material that could be used for
                > wires.

                There was a firm in England offering a special thread for modelling
                phone lines, etc. I believe it was monofilament Lycra and the idea was
                that if you snagged it with your coat or arm, it would just stretch and
                then spring back without snapping. However I can't remember who was
                selling it!

                Brian Rumary, England

                http://freespace.virgin.net/brian.rumary/homepage.htm
              • Gregory Wright
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 10, 2002
                  I have just recently heard about getting Lycra thread.
                  It stretches so if you snag it it gives, then snaps
                  back in place.
                  --- Claus Nielsen <clni@...> wrote:
                  > All:
                  >
                  > What do you use for telephone or power wires? I'm
                  > not inclined to use thin copperwire or thread and I
                  > think I have once heard of a (German?) product made
                  > of flexible material that could be used for wires.
                  >
                  > Can any shed more light on this?
                  >
                  > Regards
                  >
                  > Claus

                  http://sbc.yahoo.com
                • Evan & Correne James
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 11, 2002
                    Re: [FS32NGModelrail] Telegraph and power wires There's a product on the market designed especially for that use. It is called EZ Line, and is made by Berkshire Junction in the United States. It is an elastic polymer with a claimed 700 percent stretch ability, and comes in two different grades and four different colours.  I am using it on my railway, and it is great, doing everything it is claimed to do.
                    The manufacturer can be contacted at:
                    www.berkshirejunction.com
                    or by e.mail at info@...

                    Evan