Re: [FS32NGModelrail] Big bedford

  • Evan & Correne James
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2002
      Hi Martin:
      Like Paul, I was drooling over the master for the S Bedford cab which Darryl
      had at the comvention - come to think of it, almost everyone else who saw it
      drooled over it too.
      Darryl was telling us that when it came in through customs in Aus, the guy
      behind the desk was a military modeller, and he couldn't believe his eyes
      either. Although he said he wouldn't need one, being a 1/72nd scale
      modeller, he gave Darryl a list of fellow military modellers who would snap
      them up once they hit the market.
      Once again, congratulations on a wonderful effort.

      Evan

      on 31/3/02 10:19 AM, Martin Field at field@... wrote:

      > Evan,
      > Watch just across the water for the Bedford. Aussie guy has the master.
      > I'm out of it. English disease killed the plans and the enthusiasm. Good
      > luck,Martin
    • Martin Field
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2, 2002
        on 2/4/02 9:37 am, Evan & Correne James at bce@... wrote:

        > Hi Martin:
        > Like Paul, I was drooling over the master for the S Bedford cab which Darryl
        > had at the comvention - come to think of it, almost everyone else who saw it
        > drooled over it too.
        > Darryl was telling us that when it came in through customs in Aus, the guy
        > behind the desk was a military modeller, and he couldn't believe his eyes
        > either. Although he said he wouldn't need one, being a 1/72nd scale
        > modeller, he gave Darryl a list of fellow military modellers who would snap
        > them up once they hit the market.
        > Once again, congratulations on a wonderful effort.
        >

        > Evan
        >

        > on 31/3/02 10:19 AM, Martin Field at field@... wrote:
        >

        >> Evan,
        >> Watch just across the water for the Bedford. Aussie guy has the master.
        >> I'm out of it. English disease killed the plans and the enthusiasm. Good
        >> luck,Martin

        Thank you sir! I am not worthy. I hope it fills a gap in peoples' layouts
        and then goes on to keep the military guys happy (is that possible) (g)
        Everyone says they were crap to own and drive. Maybe, but they were part of
        my childhood and I think they're good looking things. Like the Thames
        Trader.
        Cheers, Martin
      • Evan & Correne James
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2002
          Hi Martin:
          By today's standards the S Bedford might not be the best, but when they came
          out they were rated as the greatest thing since sliced bread and New Zealand
          truck companies bought them in their thousands.
          When our NZR Road Services fleet was changed from Bedford to Hino, there
          were plenty of moans from the drivers as they tried to come to grips with
          the Hino gearbox. I suppose it is what you are used to. Mind you, I tried to
          come to grips with a Hino gearbox last weekend when I took the layout to
          Wellington and back, and I was still struggling at the end of the journey.

          Evan

          > Thank you sir! I am not worthy. I hope it fills a gap in peoples' layouts
          > and then goes on to keep the military guys happy (is that possible) (g)
          > Everyone says they were crap to own and drive. Maybe, but they were part of
          > my childhood and I think they're good looking things. Like the Thames
          > Trader.
          > Cheers, Martin
        • Russell J Postlewaight
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2002
            Ev,

            We in NZ didnt have sliced bread when the S Bedfords were introduced!
            Remember serrated breadknives LOL.
            Martin - I too saw it - a lovely piece of work.
            Cheers
            Russell

            > By today's standards the S Bedford might not be the best, but when they
            came
            > out they were rated as the greatest thing since sliced bread and New
            Zealand
            > truck companies bought them in their thousands.
            > When our NZR Road Services fleet was changed from Bedford to Hino, there
            > were plenty of moans from the drivers as they tried to come to grips with
            > the Hino gearbox. I suppose it is what you are used to. Mind you, I tried
            > come to grips with a Hino gearbox last weekend when I took the layout to
            > Wellington and back, and I was still struggling at the end of the journey.
            >
            > Evan
            > >>

            > > Thank you sir! I am not worthy. I hope it fills a gap in peoples'
            layouts
            > > and then goes on to keep the military guys happy (is that possible) (g)
            > > Everyone says they were crap to own and drive. Maybe, but they were part
            of
            > > my childhood and I think they're good looking things. Like the Thames
            > > Trader.
            > > Cheers, Martin

          • Martin Field
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2002
              on 2/4/02 11:42 pm, Russell J Postlewaight at russell.unfire@...
              wrote:

              > Ev,
              >
              > We in NZ didnt have sliced bread when the S Bedfords were introduced!
              > Remember serrated breadknives LOL.
              > Martin - I too saw it - a lovely piece of work.
              > Cheers
              > Russell

              Hi Russell,
              Thanks for the kind words. I hope you'll all enjoy it.
              I certainly enjoyed making it.
              Did you see the pictures of the truck I measured? I had to spend 2 hours
              with a billhook clearing a path to it!! I still have the scars. There's
              commitment for you!!
              Cheers, Martin