Re: [FS32NGModelrail] Re: Happy New Year and a wheel question

  • Ralph Brammer
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2002
      Hi Steve

      I thought you never slept, you must be getting old!

      Happy new year

      Ralph and Janet
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2002
        Gee Paul, you really are picking on some strange prototypes

        Evan

        >> tankienz wrote:
        >>
        >>> Hi everyone and happy new year. I think this is the first message
        > of
        >>> the new year as its just after midnight here in New Zealand.
        >>>
        >>> I have a question. I've been looking at some plans of a local 2
        > foot
        >>> gauge railway that I'm considering building in 1/35th scale but I
        >>> have a problem. As the lines pass through tunnels they share with
        >>> water pipes the rolling stock is very small and has very small
        >>> wheels. Can anyone suggest sources of wheels in the following
        >>> diameters - 5.4mm (solid), 6.4mm (solid), 6.5mm (curved spokes),
        >>> 7.2mm (curved spokes), 8mm (solid), 8.5mm (solid), 8.8mm (solid)
        > and
        >>> 10mm (curved spoke). Gauge is not critical as I can regauge to
        >>> 16.5mm and all axles will have inside bearings.
        >>>
        >>> The only close wheels I'm aware of are Parkside Dundas N scale
        > which
        >>> I believe include 5.1mm, 5.5mm, 6.2mm and 7mm diameters.
        >>>
        >>> Thanks folks,
        >>>
        >>> Paul Napier
      • tankienz
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2002
          EVan,

          Have I ever followed the main stream?

          All these strange wheel sizes are for the Waitakere 2ft gauge
          rollingstock of Watercare Services and the Waitakere Tramline
          Society. Apparently there was no such thing as a stand wheel size
          back in the Auckland Regional Authority days hence the variety. If I
          decide to build a few items of rolling stock I probably settle on 2-3
          common (and available) sizes.

          Paul Napier

          --- In FS32NGModelrail@y..., Evan & Correne James <bce@x> wrote:
          > Gee Paul, you really are picking on some strange prototypes
          >
          > Evan

          > > of

          > > foot
          > > and

          > > which

        • ufffam
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 2002
            NWSL is on line also. www.nwsl.com

            Bill Uffelman

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 1, 2002
              Hi Paul - I figured out that you were modelling the Waitakerei trams. Remind
              me closer to convention time and I will bring down videos I have taken of
              the two lines. If you need any up to date info on the Nihotupu tram, the
              person to get hold of would be Dick Croker who has the contract to maintain
              it. Sorry, but he isn't on line.

              Evan

              on 1/1/02 10:33 PM, tankienz at bandm@... wrote:

              > EVan,
              >
              > Have I ever followed the main stream?
              >
              > All these strange wheel sizes are for the Waitakere 2ft gauge
              > rollingstock of Watercare Services and the Waitakere Tramline
              > Society. Apparently there was no such thing as a stand wheel size
              > back in the Auckland Regional Authority days hence the variety. If I
              > decide to build a few items of rolling stock I probably settle on 2-3
              > common (and available) sizes.
              >
              > Paul Napier
              >
              > --- In FS32NGModelrail@y..., Evan & Correne James <bce@x> wrote:
              >> Gee Paul, you really are picking on some strange prototypes
              >>
              >> Evan

              > message
              >>> of

              >>> foot
              > with
              >>> and

              >>> which

            • Brian McKenzie
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 3, 2002
                Paul Napier asked:
                > Can anyone suggest sources of wheels in the following
                > diameters - 5.4mm (solid), 6.4mm (solid), 6.5mm (curved spokes),
                > 7.2mm (curved spokes), 8mm (solid), 8.5mm (solid), 8.8mm (solid)
                > and 10mm (curved spoke). Gauge is not critical as I can regauge
                > to 16.5mm and all axles will have inside bearings. [1:35 scale]

                Paul,

                Photo attached shows two curved spoke wheels I have produced in the past.

                There could be brass castings available for the larger wheel in an Auckland
                model shop. Possibly Santa Fe, not sure - I've lost track of the current
                ownership of patterns I made about 1970. It represents 20 inch dia in 1:64
                scale after turning = 10.9 inches in 1:35.

                The smaller one is 6.3mm OVER the flange i.e. the tyre comes out of 1/4 inch
                dia. stainless steel. The present difficulties of manufacture (injection
                moulding of spokes 9 thou thick) means I can't make them available for now,
                but tooling improvements and additional sizes could be a task for the
                future.

                Brian McKenzie.