Re: [FS32NGModelrail] Re: Happy New Year and a wheel question

  • steveblackdog@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 31, 2001
      bandm@... writes:

      > I'll also look up Alan Gibson to see if he makes any smaller curly
      > spoke wheels
      hi paul

      Alan Gibson makes his curly spoke wheels in 3 different sizes, 9, 10.5 and
      12mm diameter, he will also supply with plain axles, rather than pinpoints to
      order. Sadly i dont think he has an online outlet.

      If you want any more info get in touch as i have his catalogue handy, right
      now i'm off to bed

      happy new year all

      steve bennett
      www.blackdogmining.co.uk
    • Ralph Brammer
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2002
        Hi Steve

        I thought you never slept, you must be getting old!

        Happy new year

        Ralph and Janet
        > I'll also look up Alan Gibson to see if he makes any smaller
        curly
        >  spoke wheels
        hi paul

        Alan Gibson makes his curly spoke wheels in 3 different sizes,  9, 10.5 and
        12mm diameter, he will also supply with plain axles, rather than pinpoints to
        order. Sadly i dont think he has an online outlet.

        If you want any more info get in touch as i have his catalogue handy, right
        now i'm off to bed

        happy new year all

        steve bennett
        www.blackdogmining.co.uk

      • Evan & Correne James
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2002
          Gee Paul, you really are picking on some strange prototypes

          Evan

          >> tankienz wrote:
          >>
          >>> Hi everyone and happy new year. I think this is the first message
          > of
          >>> the new year as its just after midnight here in New Zealand.
          >>>
          >>> I have a question. I've been looking at some plans of a local 2
          > foot
          >>> gauge railway that I'm considering building in 1/35th scale but I
          >>> have a problem. As the lines pass through tunnels they share with
          >>> water pipes the rolling stock is very small and has very small
          >>> wheels. Can anyone suggest sources of wheels in the following
          >>> diameters - 5.4mm (solid), 6.4mm (solid), 6.5mm (curved spokes),
          >>> 7.2mm (curved spokes), 8mm (solid), 8.5mm (solid), 8.8mm (solid)
          > and
          >>> 10mm (curved spoke). Gauge is not critical as I can regauge to
          >>> 16.5mm and all axles will have inside bearings.
          >>>
          >>> The only close wheels I'm aware of are Parkside Dundas N scale
          > which
          >>> I believe include 5.1mm, 5.5mm, 6.2mm and 7mm diameters.
          >>>
          >>> Thanks folks,
          >>>
          >>> Paul Napier
        • tankienz
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 2002
            EVan,

            Have I ever followed the main stream?

            All these strange wheel sizes are for the Waitakere 2ft gauge
            rollingstock of Watercare Services and the Waitakere Tramline
            Society. Apparently there was no such thing as a stand wheel size
            back in the Auckland Regional Authority days hence the variety. If I
            decide to build a few items of rolling stock I probably settle on 2-3
            common (and available) sizes.

            Paul Napier

            --- In FS32NGModelrail@y..., Evan & Correne James <bce@x> wrote:
            > Gee Paul, you really are picking on some strange prototypes
            >
            > Evan

            > > of

            > > foot
            > > and

            > > which

          • ufffam
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 1, 2002
              NWSL is on line also. www.nwsl.com

              Bill Uffelman

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 1, 2002
                Hi Paul - I figured out that you were modelling the Waitakerei trams. Remind
                me closer to convention time and I will bring down videos I have taken of
                the two lines. If you need any up to date info on the Nihotupu tram, the
                person to get hold of would be Dick Croker who has the contract to maintain
                it. Sorry, but he isn't on line.

                Evan

                on 1/1/02 10:33 PM, tankienz at bandm@... wrote:

                > EVan,
                >
                > Have I ever followed the main stream?
                >
                > All these strange wheel sizes are for the Waitakere 2ft gauge
                > rollingstock of Watercare Services and the Waitakere Tramline
                > Society. Apparently there was no such thing as a stand wheel size
                > back in the Auckland Regional Authority days hence the variety. If I
                > decide to build a few items of rolling stock I probably settle on 2-3
                > common (and available) sizes.
                >
                > Paul Napier
                >
                > --- In FS32NGModelrail@y..., Evan & Correne James <bce@x> wrote:
                >> Gee Paul, you really are picking on some strange prototypes
                >>
                >> Evan

                > message
                >>> of

                >>> foot
                > with
                >>> and

                >>> which

              • Brian McKenzie
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 3, 2002
                  Paul Napier asked:
                  > Can anyone suggest sources of wheels in the following
                  > diameters - 5.4mm (solid), 6.4mm (solid), 6.5mm (curved spokes),
                  > 7.2mm (curved spokes), 8mm (solid), 8.5mm (solid), 8.8mm (solid)
                  > and 10mm (curved spoke). Gauge is not critical as I can regauge
                  > to 16.5mm and all axles will have inside bearings. [1:35 scale]

                  Paul,

                  Photo attached shows two curved spoke wheels I have produced in the past.

                  There could be brass castings available for the larger wheel in an Auckland
                  model shop. Possibly Santa Fe, not sure - I've lost track of the current
                  ownership of patterns I made about 1970. It represents 20 inch dia in 1:64
                  scale after turning = 10.9 inches in 1:35.

                  The smaller one is 6.3mm OVER the flange i.e. the tyre comes out of 1/4 inch
                  dia. stainless steel. The present difficulties of manufacture (injection
                  moulding of spokes 9 thou thick) means I can't make them available for now,
                  but tooling improvements and additional sizes could be a task for the
                  future.

                  Brian McKenzie.