RE: [FS32NGModelrail] Billard loco

  • ufffam
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2001
      In times past I have seen the US made (I think) MDC Big Hauler referred to
      as a 1/32 scale loco. I have never measured it out versus a similar
      prototype loco but wonder if the body and cab could be used with a new
      mechanism for a 1/32n2 or 1/32n3 unit. Has anyone ever taken a ruler to
      one? Mine is buried somewhere in storage here at the mansion as the motor
      block had crapped out before we left Illinois a couple of years ago.

      Bill Uffelman

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
        Dear group:

        I,just like Gerrit, had hoped I would someday have the chance to build
        the Billard. Not so much because I particularly liked the looks of it,
        more because it would be fun building a kit of a loco in 1:35 instead of
        scratch building. Now it seems too late. And yes: bankrupt and closure
        are very much part of the terms when you want to supply a small market
        with rarely sought after products. If Gerrit and I had bought earlier,
        who knows maybe the firm had survived? (Doubtfull of that, though). This
        all seems like a good reminder: always buy what you like when you have
        chance, don't wait! (that your work bench someday will be filled with
        unbuilt models will be an other problem - I have decided that I will not
        buy more items before my present stocks have been reduced by 50%).

        The idea of using this group's expert modellers to manufacture a
        loco-kit is a very charming one. If it is a good one remains to be
        seen... I for my part don't know wether I could have a function in such
        a cooperation (I'll wait and see) and in case I could, would I have the
        time? The time would be taken from my other modelling activities and
        although I would be flattered to be invited I have never dreamt of
        becoming a master-maker for kit production, I only try to become a
        better modeller and have fun (with the first priority being 'fun'). The
        time doing parts for the Billard would also put a stop on my other
        projects (the MUZ-4 and a large six-coupled diesel electric, modules
        and wooden skips).

        As the patterns or master for a Billard have been made once, it would be
        the most sensible way of working trying to accuire them. Only if they
        can not be found and accuired would it make sense to do new ones.
        (perhaps even some examples of the kit have suvived that could be
        bought?) And when new moulds and masters should be made why choose the
        Billard and not some other loco? In the end you will also have to settle
        a scale. What I found great was that the original kit was in 1:35 - are
        all in the project (see, now I already called it a project) building in
        that scale?

        This is not a signal that I would not be a taker of a reasonably priced
        resin kit of a 1:35 Billard, only a few pieces of advise. I hope to see
        a Billard after all!

        I had the pleasure to visit the french museums railway at Dompierre and
        they have several Billards (that's where I saw this type of loco the
        first time.) The locos there could easily be measured and photographed
        in great detail.

        This weekend I almost finished my 1:35 model of a danish Ford A-loco.
        Photos and a small text should be online in a few days.

        Regards - and good luck for those on the 'project'

        Claus
      • Ralph Brammer
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
          Hi Group
          My interest in the Billard was to learn a little more about continental locos, I have a  little experience of casting in resin,as do many others  some better than me.   Being long time retired I have been there, done that and got several Tee shirts!  From the begining I did not see this as a commercial venture but as a satisifying join venture. I am happy to let every body who is interested and has made an imput however large or small copies of the parts we produce

          I just thought it might be an interesting project with all the expertees out there, and a learning experience for me.

          Happy modelling   Ralph
          The idea of a group project sounds fun, but I also would have little to
          contribute to such an endeavor. Except to say that ‘in principal’ I would be
          willing to commit or reserve in advance a proposed model. In the case of the
          Billard, if a manufacture were to consider buying the molds for this loco I
          would support it and pay a deposit.
          Scott

          Gerrit Van Roy wrote:

          Bruno,Ralph,Scott,All ,When i first joined this group and went trough the
          > "mail-archives" (wich took me about 3 weeks !)i found out
          about this loco
          > and its manufacturer and assumed it would be availlable
          when i was ready
          > (and have the time ) to build one.Well it seems i
          thouhgt wrong... Come to
          > think of it ,why do people always develop an
          intrest in things when they are
          > no longer there? Annyway i am still
          interrested in such a loco,and also
          > willing to co-operate in
          "producing" a model ,but not on a commercially
          > basis. I am not
          shure tough i what way i could contribute in such a project
          > but the idea
          of an "inter-FS32MR-group-cooperation" seems fun ,and a

          challenge.It seems to me that this loco is not that difficuld to

          (scratch)build so if this cooperation 'fails' i could always build one for
          > myself.
          > Dos annybody have more information on this loco?
          pictures,web-adresses or
          > drawings? or nows magazines-books with such
          items? thanks in advance.

          > Gerrit Van Roy

          Antwerp/Belgium.

          > Community email
          addresses:
          owner:   FS32NGModelrail-owner@onelist.com

          > Shortcut
          URL to this page:

          href="http://www.onelist.com/community/FS32NGModelrail">http://www.onelist.com/community/FS32NGModelrail

          Community email addresses:
            Post message: FS32NGModelrail@onelist.com
            Subscribe:    FS32NGModelrail-subscribe@onelist.com

          Shortcut URL to this page:
            http://www.onelist.com/community/FS32NGModelrail

        • Scott Ziebell
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001

            Gerrit Van Roy wrote:

            > Bruno,Ralph,Scott,All ,When i first joined this group and went trough the
            > "mail-archives" (wich took me about 3 weeks !)i found out about this loco
            > and its manufacturer and assumed it would be availlable when i was ready
            > (and have the time ) to build one.Well it seems i thouhgt wrong... Come to
            > think of it ,why do people always develop an intrest in things when they are
            > no longer there? Annyway i am still interrested in such a loco,and also
            > willing to co-operate in "producing" a model ,but not on a commercially
            > basis. I am not shure tough i what way i could contribute in such a project
            > but the idea of an "inter-FS32MR-group-cooperation" seems fun ,and a
            > challenge.It seems to me that this loco is not that difficuld to
            > (scratch)build so if this cooperation 'fails' i could always build one for
            > myself.
            > Dos annybody have more information on this loco? pictures,web-adresses or
            > drawings? or nows magazines-books with such items? thanks in advance.
            >
            > Gerrit Van Roy
            > Antwerp/Belgium.
            >

            > Community email addresses:
            > Post message: FS32NGModelrail@onelist.com
            > Subscribe: FS32NGModelrail-subscribe@onelist.com
            >
            > Shortcut URL to this page:
            > http://www.onelist.com/community/FS32NGModelrail

          • Philippe COUSYN
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
              Scott, all,

              Bruno is completely right the 13 éme Dragon has rolled the curtain last year. This
              is the bad news. The good news is that the Billard and the Pechot range (depressed
              center platform, tank car, logging trucks) is still available on a limited basis
              directly to my friend and associate George Crosnier at
              interimmo.crosnier@.... Contact him for prices and availabality. Some new
              items will perhaps be release from time to time.
              Have fun

              Philippe Cousyn