Re: [FS32NGModelrail] What's new?

  • Don Coker
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2001
      Hey, Gerrit, All,

      Your Sidelines Loco conversion looks great! I agree, that little loco is
      a joy to build. I plan to build another soon. Maybe if enough of us stay
      after Steve "Blackdog" Bennett, and support his efforts, he'll continue
      producing fine, affordable "narrow" stuff for Gn15 and 1/35, 1/32, that
      we've come to expect from him and his cohorts.

      I can't wait to see the progress on your layout. What size is it? Maybe
      you've said before, but I missed it. What will be the theme for it?

      Thanks again for the fine photos and keep up the good work.

      Don "Down on the 'Hooch" Coker,
      Columbus, GA.
    • Van Roy Gerrit
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2001
        Gents,here are some pics from what i have been upto lately,
        the"anciens" amongs you may notice that i did not go ahead with my
        original layout plan.The larger wagons could simply not take the (much
        to sharp)curves.So i had to start building my modules all over again.
        The good news is that i (at last)can run my stuff on something else than
        my Ho layout and check out if everthing works as it should be. Gettin
        the cars attached to each other and the loco(s) is next on the agenda.
        As you can see,i have got me a Sidelines loco.This kit is really a joy
        to build and to convert(wich is necessary when building in 1/35 or 1/32
        )I cut away everthing behind the engine and put the drivers seat 'face
        forward'.I also made a new front for the engine compartment with some
        plasticcard and brass .The transmission is from the Zis-5 kit as are the
        headlights,altough they have an other purpose there!The headlight
        supports are from an German Mark 4 tank (again by Italeri )but these
        can be made from annything.Again this is a fine kit and easy to build
        and with lots of potential :open top (like this one) ,closed cabin (will
        build one in the near future! )open top with sunroof (as build by Don
        ).The only thing that bothers me is that this loco has far to many
        straight (90 degrees)edges.So i filed down the edges of the buffer beam
        (is that the correct word?)a bit as the top edges of the engine
        compartment.

        Some words(thoughts)to the manufacterer:David ,is it not possible to
        release some 'add on 'sets for this kit ? the availlability of the above
        mentioned roof/cabin versions would be of great help.(esspecially for
        those who do not have the time or the motivation the make them
        themselves.)
        Also an 'superdetail set 'seems a good idea.

        Best regards

        Gerrit Van Roy
      • steveblackdog@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2001
          Gerrit

          Great conversion of the Sidelines loco. It sounds like you enjoyed the task,
          which makes me very happy. When i designed it, it was only for a bit of fun,
          and i never expected it to become as popular as it has. Your comments
          regarding "add on sets" is already in the planning stages and i have attached
          a photo showing the roof kit which will be in production very soon. Although
          intended for 1:24/1:22.5 i think this will also suit the smaller scales if
          the roof supports are shortened. If you have any more suggestions, feel free
          to let me know.

          Thanks again for your kind words

          steve bennett
          www.blackdogmining.co.uk