Mechanism for the Scale Link Motor Rail Simplex

  • O&M Schouwstra & Van Barneveld
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2000
      For who is interested and especially for Mario & John,

      Good that critters exist, but especially for little layouts we like our
      loco's creeping.
      Here is a sketch that goes along the lines of my Motor Rail. I built the
      frame myself but for people who do not see the need for that, this is
      the same drive but more or less in a critter form. It can easily go
      under the white metal kit. The Faulhaber 2020C comes at the side of the
      gearbox. I goes just between the transverse U profiles that support the
      engine. Parts of this gearbox can be 'thinned' and be glued 'around' the
      Faulhaber to hide it. The carter of the gearbox under it and the visible
      outside of the gearbox between the end of the 2020 and the frame.
      Fastening is at the ends of the brass 'plateframe'. Little blocs of the
      right dimensions (trial and error) must be glued to the whitemetal and
      threaded for a bolt. Pulleys can be found in shipmodelshops, soldered on
      the axles and perhaps formed on a lathe or in the chuck of an electric
      drill. The motorpulley must fall over (close over) the bearing of the
      2020, this is technically better but also needed to keep the 2020 easily
      witin the frame. A sharp V-groove in the pulleys make that the O-rings
      do not slip. This is a very smooth running mechanism. A 2020 D seemed to
      slow for me, but motors can easily be changed for the experiment.
      The room under the loco stays 'transparent' and the O-rings (in the
      dark) suggest chains.

      Further a tip to create more room under the hoods. (Not needed for this
      mechanism.) To create room for f.i. a speaker: glue a thin brass sheet
      over the whitemetal hoods and remove the whitemetal where neaded with a
      rotary tool.

      I hope that this sketch comes over the net well enough, my scanner is
      defect, it is a photo.

      Otto.