Re: [FS32NGModelrail] Digest Number 215

  • Evan & Correne James
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
      It is a giant single cylinder affair

      Peter Foley wrote:

        From the
      > side
      > view of the engine compartment, this can't be the original engine -
      > no-one
      > made anything that small in that time period.  The Deutz motor is a
      > giant
      > single cylinder affair.
      >
      > I've also posted a scan of another Oberursel loco to Kevin's folder in
      > the
      > shared files - no idea where I got the pic from, it was back in the
      > days
      > when lots were saved, but no notes kept.
      >
      > regards,
    • Arnoud Bongaards
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
        Kevin, Peter, all,

        --- In FS32NGModelrail@egroups.com, Peter Foley <pdfoley@c...> wrote:
        > At 01:56 PM 11/28/00 +1300, Kevin Crosado wrote:

        >>Incidentally, what is the correct spelling of the maker's name?
        >>I've seen it printed both as Oberursel and Oberursler. I assume the
        >>name was taken from the location of the manufacturer's works.

        >I've only seen it as Oberursel - they also made rotary engines in
        >WWI for German aircraft.

        It was allso known as Oberurseler Motorenfabrik (Germany). They were
        established 1892. In 1901 they built their first loco! Besides loco-
        and aircraft engines they allso built engines for cars.

        ....snipping...

        >I've also posted a scan of another Oberursel loco to Kevin's folder
        >in the shared files - no idea where I got the pic from, it was back
        >in the days when lots were saved, but no notes kept.

        This shot is taken at Gempol Sugarmill - Java, Indonesia. The loco
        was still in service in 1989! Gauge of this beauty is 700 mm. (28").
        It probably is 70hp and has Klien-Lindner hollow axles to cope with a
        very small radius.
        (Claus: Take a look at the pic and try to keep breathing normal!
        This baby fits on Dutch and Danish tracks! Little bit too far away
        too get our hands on huh....)

        It is good too see some Oberursel locos still surviving, as they are
        veeeery rare these days. They are special and a treasure in every
        railway collection even when not totally in original state.

        Kevin and Peter thanks for the info and fotos.

        For more on Oberursel and (all) other German loco manufacturers (in
        German but lots of fotos) go see http://www.lokhersteller.de

        Cheers & de groeten,

        Arnoud Bongaards - Amsterdam
      • Peter Foley
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
          At 12:29 PM 12/1/00 +0000, Arnoud Bongaards wrote:

          >For more on Oberursel and (all) other German loco manufacturers (in
          >German but lots of fotos) go see http://www.lokhersteller.de

          Marvellous site, Arnoud. Thanks for posting it.

          regards,

          pf
        • Terry Van Winkle
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 2, 2000
            Arnoud,
            Thanks for sharing the German locomotive builders list. It is a fabulous
            resource. I am particularly pleased to begin to understand the relationship
            of Oberurseler to Deutz even with my very limited understanding of German as
            a guide.
            The 1911 Oberurseler Mine Locomotive Catalog facsimile mentioned in the
            bibliography and published by Bufe-Verlag,1998, ISBN 3-922138-67-5 is very
            well done. I purchased a copy from Andrew Neale in England this year. I
            believe it is still in print. Attached is a sample page from the facsimile.
            Would any member of the group have information on Montania locomotives built
            before the First World War?
            Many Thanks,
            Terry