Suitable parts

  • Tim&Jeanie Stolle
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 31, 2000
      I want to build a few small 4-wheel cars and am looking for a suitable
      undercarriage. Cars would run between 6 feet and 8 feet prototype length.
      Can someone steer me in the right direction, please!

      Tim Stolle
    • bilwil@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2000
        Tim:

        I got a bunch of underframe kits from Ray
        Lantz of this group....Offed some to Bro
        Charley. They are soft metal castings of
        excellent quality, tho you must furnish yer
        own wheel sets. (I used some JayBee
        HO 38" ones I had from way back when)
        Not "Full" kits, just underframe & details.
        Makes into a 4 1/2 ft. x 8 ft. car in 20"
        gauge. Price was quite reasonable.

        I have assembled two of them thus far,
        and they track beautifully. If you look in
        the files section under Wazoo, you will
        see several fotos Charley took of the first
        flat car I assembled. (The green one)

        Ray may still have some of the parts left.
        Check with him. Let me know if you need
        further info.

        Bill Wilson (BTW / MAB)
        Prez
        Wazoo Island Rwy
      • gandydancerjames@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2000
          --- In FS32NGModelrail@egroups.com, bilwil@w... wrote:

          > I got a bunch of underframe kits from Ray> Lantz of this
          group....Offed some to Bro> Charley. They are soft metal castings of
          > excellent quality, tho you must furnish yer> own wheel sets. (I
          used some JayBee > HO 38" ones I had from way back when)
          > Not "Full" kits, just underframe & details.> Makes into a 4 1/2 ft.
          x 8 ft. car in 20" > gauge. Price was quite reasonable.

          I'm just sort of lurking here, to see what you fellas are up to.
          I am, though I'm not sure after seeing the photos of Bill Wilson's
          Wazoo Railroad, in On30. I have an On30 Porter and Mogul, along with
          some other rolling stock. What you fellas are doing iterests me.
          Can't really figure out, though, what the freight car sizes are.
          Your email suggested 4 1/2' wide x 8' long. Not accustomed to such
          small sizes, so am sorta bewildered. Love what you did to the
          Bachmann locos, and the green car in the Wazoo pics looks great!! Is
          that one that is 4 1/2 x 8'? Remember, just lurking... JIM
        • ufffam@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 1, 2000
            In a message dated Wed, 1 Nov 2000 3:07:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            gandydancerjames@... writes:

            Can't really figure out, though, what the freight car sizes are.
            Your email suggested 4 1/2' wide x 8' long. Not accustomed to such
            small sizes, so am sorta bewildered. Love what you did to the
            Bachmann locos, and the green car in the Wazoo pics looks great!! Is
            that one that is 4 1/2 x 8'? Remember, just lurking... JIM

            Jim--beg borrow or steel a copy or two of the NG and Industrial Railway
            Modeling Review magazine published by Roy Link in England. Caboose Hobbies,
            Mitchell's and some others carry it. As the name implies part of the
            magazine's focus is on the industrial railroads that moved "stuff" minerals,
            agricultural products and the like. Often the railroads used portable
            panelized track in construction projects, fields or quarries. The Gazette
            also shows such equipment and models on occassion.

            Typically the cars are very small, 4 wheel units-- simple tipper tubs like
            LGB makes in 1/22.5 (or so), Links in 1/43 and Lantz in 1/32 or more
            complicated wooden tippers like Western Wheeled Scraper in 1/20 like Bachmann.

            As the users are inventive, a tub frame becomes the basis of a small flat car
            for carrying tools, welding equipment or oil and water tanks.

            The thing to keep in mind is that this is industrial equipment not main line
            NG stuff.

            Bill Uffelman
          • Charley Lix
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 1, 2000
              just lurking... JIM , fellows ...

              >From: gandydancerjames@...
              >I'm just sort of lurking here, to see what you fellas are up to.
              >I am, though I'm not sure after seeing the photos of Bill Wilson's
              >Wazoo Railroad, in On30.

              I am pretty sure this is a typo .. about "On30" By Bill Wilson .. Ray Lantz
              was kind enough to sell us some white metal underframe kits which I take to
              be four wheel WD wagon metal underframes .. they are very nice for 1:32 nd
              scale diminutive all steel rivetted frames .. Ray may have patterns for them
              yet ? If enough ask , he might be presuaded to run them again ?

              Have Fun - Charley , G.R.G / MAB
            • gandydancerjames@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 1, 2000
                The thing to keep in mind is that this is industrial equipment not
                main line NG stuff. Bill Uffelman

                Thanks, Bill, and Charley, for your response and information. I will
                contact Caboose Hobbies about the mags...... As you said, the thing
                to keep in mind is that this is NOT mainline or even branchline
                railroading. Still, there is a magnetism about these dimunitive cars
                and locos that is fascinating. Need to look into how much of this is
                done. One thing I noticed is that the cabs are OPEN, meaning that
                they should be detailed. Alright, what does one of these "diesel"?
                interiors look like? As for the steam locos, just miniaturization of
                the real thing.....right? Or is it steam, at all? Use HO scale
                trucks and JB wheelsets? Kadee couplers? O scale standard brake
                wheel and freight car parts? Don't mean to ramble on, but am not at
                all familiar with this scale/gauge. Thanks in advance so I don't tie
                up the airways. JIM
              • RL1962@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 1, 2000
                  Certainly I've still got the patterns and molds available to reproduce the
                  under frames sold to Charley and Bill. These wagons are not War Department
                  though, just some freelance thing I came up with myself. They were however,
                  based loosely on wagons similar to the WD ones which is why they so closely
                  resemble them. They are very small but make up nicely without too much
                  effort. Just now there is no need to have more castings made as I've a batch
                  on hand though they will likely not last long at which point more can be had.

                  Anyone interested can contact me for pricing etc. To have another look at
                  some finished kits return to my web page (link attached). The two wagons on
                  the front page are exactly them. These as pictured are assembled to my
                  original plan but many different renditions of similar and unique design can
                  be assembles by adding to or subtracting from the parts included as I think
                  Charley and Bill have done. I'll also supply a plan view of the kit with
                  every order so that you can compare what you'd like to build with what I
                  designed and built myself.

                  Of further interest may be that I am in the process of making patterns for a
                  3ft gauge wagon that is not dissimilar to these small guys, but is from an
                  actual prototype. This wagon is to be 5x10ft and was used on a very light
                  3ft gauge English common carrier. I can't promise or even guess at a ready
                  date just now as there is much work to be done still and I am awaiting
                  production of appropriate wheelsets which I have commissioned from Slaters of
                  England. Any interested parties should contact me via e-mail and I will
                  provide them with more particulars as well as a copy of a plan drawing I made
                  for the kit.

                  Best Regards to all,

                  Ray
                • ufffam@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 1, 2000
                    Jim if you sign on to the 7-8inchscaletrains@egroups list and go to files you
                    will find a number of pictures of similar equipment that is being modeled in
                    a larger scale than 1/32 or 1/35. There are shots there of cab interiors for
                    gassers and diesels. Typical bare minimum is some kind of ammeter to show the
                    charging state of the battery, an ignition switch and starter button
                    (presuming it is not a hand cranked unit), horn button. clutch pedal, stick
                    shift and brake lever, pedal or crank. If you can find Jeff Saxton's personal
                    web page he has a number of 2' models pictured with the necessary cab
                    eqyipment.

                    Short and Narrow Rails has published at least two volumes on "Critters" --
                    small diesel and gas locos that have lots of prototype shots. Caboos Hobbies
                    sells the publication.

                    Bill Uffelman
                  • RL1962@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 1, 2000
                      The missing link I promised on the last posting to my site is included here.

                      <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/RL1962/Railways.html">Railways in 1/32nd
                      scale</A>

                      Ray
                    • Charley Lix
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 1, 2000
                        Jim ,

                        >From: gandydancerjames@...

                        > One thing I noticed is that the cabs are OPEN, meaning that
                        >they should be detailed. Alright, what does one of these "diesel"?
                        >interiors look like?

                        I put two shift levers {two speeds and a fwd / rev }and a clutch pedal .
                        Gauges ..a gaz tank for gravity feed .. a brake lever .. like a tall
                        ratchet thing like a reversing lever {johnson bar} the Lokeys I saw at
                        Leslie salt were VERY lean as to cab stuff .. just the bare minimum . I was
                        shocked at how much there wasn't ! VERY minimal machines ..

                        Have Fun - Charley , G.R.G / MAB
                      • bilwil@webtv.net
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 2, 2000
                          Jim.....
                          Thanks fer the interest in my Wazoo Island Rwy., and the nice
                          compliments.
                          However it is NOT On30! The scale is
                          3/8" = 1" or 1/32nd proportion running on
                          HO standards track which works out to
                          approx. 20" gauge. Extra narrow gauge
                          if you will. On30 is 1/4" = 1', or 1/48
                          proportion. The equipment in this scale/
                          gauge is quite diminutive. I did use the
                          Bachman On30 Porter chassis for PUFF
                          the steam loco, and HUFF the gaz rig.
                          This makes them about 4 ton locos.
                          In On30, the Porters scale out to about
                          7 ton locos. I use hand-laid code 83 rail,
                          and have 10" radius curves.

                          And yes, the car is really 4 1/2 ft. x 8 ft.!
                          I believe the fotos show a person (Figger)
                          standing by the car which should give you
                          some idea of the size! Very little is available in this scale/gauge, so
                          if you
                          want anything, be prepared to build, build,
                          build!

                          Hope this helped answer some of your questions.

                          Bill Wilson / MAB
                          Prez
                          Wazoo Island Rwy.
                        • bilwil@webtv.net
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 2, 2000
                            Ray.....

                            As Charley is wont to say upon occasion:
                            Good on Ya! Glad to see you're still doing
                            the kits. And bringing out a new one yet!!
                            Hope all this new interest helps the
                            business, you do good stuff.

                            And bye-the-bye, How's my Ruston doing? Just asking..........

                            Charley dropped by this eve. and the actual size of the loky came up
                            during
                            our conversation. How big is it actually
                            vs the 4 ton Puff? Bigger? Smaller?
                            Inquiring engineers need to know. Whots
                            the H.P. rating?

                            Thanx Bud.......

                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 2, 2000
                              --- In FS32NGModelrail@egroups.com, bilwil@w... wrote:
                              > Jim.... Thanks fer the interest in my Wazoo Island Rwy.,
                              and the nice compliments.

                              Bill: Guess I put the commas in the wrong place in my sentence.
                              I meant that I was in On30, but am very interested in your 1/32
                              scale/HO gauge. I noticed that much of the conversion work is
                              done in brass. Any particular reason why styrene is not used
                              more liberally?

                              Aside from the SD Warren Company tram that appeared in the 1987
                              NGG, are there any other trams that used double trucks in their
                              operation? Appears that the On30 Bachmann freight truck is an
                              ideal candidate for use in this scale, as the wheelbase and wheels
                              appear a bit oversized for On30.

                              Remember, I'm just lurking. Appreciate you taking the time to
                              respond. JIM