Danish Oil Engine Loco

  • gaz410
    Message 1 of 3 , May 23, 2014

      All:
      Thanks for the nice words on my small road vehicles. I have posted a short history and description of the oil engine loco I’m working on now. I’m currently trying to contact the local historical archive in Frederikshavn to find out if they have additional info that can help me shed light on some of the missing details on the loco.

      http://nystrupgravel.blogspot.dk/2014/05/the-first-internal-combustion-engine.html

      If any of you have advice on how to replicate a 40 year old galvanized surface in 1:35 I’m all ears. And if you have any idea if there is a sound decoder with the sound of a large bore, one cylinder IC engine exhausting through a large diameter exhaust pipe I would be happy to hear from you.

      Ernst: Well, the HF50 would certainly fit in. It could easily have been in use on the nearby airfield during the war (though I’m not aware that any HF50Bs were actually in service in Denmark). But I’m not exactly short of locos and I’m trying to design my stock of locos to reflect how the situation was in Denmark in the 1950’s. And most industrial railway locos in those years were actually of Danish manufacture. I’m lagging somewhat behind on that balance on Nystrup Gravel. I even have two Hesketh MD2s still to be assembled so I will focus any other building efforts on Danish locos.

    • Brian
      Message 2 of 3 , May 23, 2014
        Claus,
        I have always modelled using one set rule of thumb, I call it “The One Foot Rule”, how it works is whatever scale you are working in the number of feet that a 1:1 foot is, [1/35 scale = 35ft.] so when doing any research and establishing just how much detail you need to show in order to capture the correct “look” if you use photos, or take photos standing approximately 35ft. away from the prototype, whatever detail you can see at that distance is the amount of detail you need to show.
        Now if you were standing 35ft. away from modern galvanized iron, the flecks are quite fine, so you would see them at 35ft., however with galvanized iron from early last century the flecks were much larger and more noticeable, although at 35ft. away they would be only just discernable.
        So to create this effect, [I am only guessing here] I would buy a can of Humbrol #11 Metallic Silver, and a can of Humbrol #79 Matt Blue Grey, You can try it either way to see which result works best, but first I would use the silver as the base coat, this metallic silver actually has a gloss type finish, then I would mix the blue grey to 2:1 [2parts paint to 1 part thinner], reduce the air pressure on your airbrush to about 10-15psi. and hold the airbrush about a foot away from the test piece, with the airbrush not pointing directly at the test piece and gently spray a mist and allow the paint particles to “rain” down onto the test piece to create the flecks, because this second coat is going onto a gloss surface the droplets should remain as dollops of paint so long as you don’t over do it, if it works it should give you fairly ‘new’ old style galvanized iron, with a shiny finish, so I would then spray over it with a satin clear finish, but try adding just a couple of drops of the blue grey to it so it will darken the overall finish.
        Sound samples:-
        and apparently this mob has some single cylinder sounds that they can custom produce for you

        Brian
        Qld. Aust.

        Sent: Friday, May 23, 2014 7:17 PM
        Subject: [FS32NGModelrail] Danish Oil Engine Loco

[...]

        No virus found in this message.

      • gaz410
        Message 3 of 3 , May 29, 2014
          Brian:
          Thanks a lot for a comprehensive answer. I like the 'one foot rule'. A thing to remember when I sit at my workbench and gazes at a model from close up or study images of my models. Few will probably ever view my models so close up - perhaps my self included.

          Your idea how to create a galvanized surface in 1:35 sounds interesting. I will try that out. Thanks for the sound bits. Interesting web site - so many sounds!

          Great models you showed on the 1:35-yahoo group. I love the way the you did the stencilled numbers on the coal wagons.