1/32 scale shay project

  • trainpedlr2003
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 6, 2014
      I would like to build a 1/32 scale shay using O gauge track. This is actually 3/8n40 but close enough so I can use the readily available O scale track.

      The problem is the availability of O scale Shay parts. PSC no longer carries the truck parts or engine assemblies and has no plans to offer them in the future.

      I thought of the possibility of using the trucks/engine assembly from a 3-rail K-Line but this would require attempting to turn the wheels to get an acceptable flange size. I realize too I would have to insulate one wheel with the differences in wiring.

      Any suggestions? Are there any custom builders left out there than can build such things or should I save myself the frustration and abandon the project?

      I appreciate any input anyone can provide.

      Travis
    • Brian
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 6, 2014
        I would suggest asking around on various forums or even on EBay, you might
        get lucky and find some that has an old shay as a basket case, there is one
        Yahoo group dedicated to building shays etc. I use to be a member, but have
        long since left that group, and I can no longer remember the name of the
        group, but try doing a search of Yahoo groups, the moderator of this group
        is the fellow that has done most of the shay drawings that are available
        today through various museums etc.
        But keep in mind to do such a project then you are going to be doing a lot
        of scratch building and machining.

        Brian
        Qld. Aust.
[...]

        ------------------------------------

        Yahoo Groups Links

        -----
        No virus found in this message.
      • Darryl Huffman
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 6, 2014
          Travis,

          Why not build your 1/32nd shay using an HO standard gauge shay as the basis.

          Gregory Wright did this and it looks great to my eyes.

          Or you could use the Bachann On30 shay for an even easier conversion.

          Darryl Huffman
          451 N Evelyn Way
          Star, ID 83669
          darrylhuffman@...

          Want to learn more about weathering?
          http://ghosttownmodels.com/custom3.html
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 6, 2014

            You can still buy any piece direct from PSC, they just have a $25 min. I'd start with a pair of trucks, they have them. all the other parts can be scratched or bashed ,c'mon you can do it!

            Gil

          • trainpedlr2003
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 6, 2014
              Hi All,

              PSC told me today that they don't have any shay trucks in stock and have no plans on having them in stock in the future as they have to order them from their builder. That is a bummer. Everything I wanted regarding shay parts are no longer carried. It's frustrating when you see all the parts in the catalog yet they don't carry near as many as are available.

              I have built some 1/32 - 1/35 models based on the HO gauge track and even built the models with radio control but the models just seemed a little small for what I really want. That is why I opted to go with O scale track so I could build a larger model.

              Thanks for the reference on the Shay group. I just found and joined it.

              I think I will just have to come up with some other options. I am not a machinist by any means so that pretty much hoses up that idea.

              I appreciate the comments. I can keep on dreaming I guess.

              Travis

              --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, <mrbungalow01@...> wrote:

              > You can still buy any piece direct from PSC, they just have a $25 min. I'd start with a pair of trucks, they have them. all the other parts can be scratched or bashed ,c'mon you can do it!
              > Gil

            • Brian
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 6, 2014
                Travis,
                One thing you could consider, if you like the Gilpin Shays, and don't mind
                going out on a limb, if you consider using 1/38.1th scale [8mm. = 1ft.] then
                the trucks from the Bachmann On30 shay are dead on correct at 3'2" wheelbase
                and basically the HO track is much closer to being 2ft. gauge.
                The On30 Shay in size is about the same length for the Gilpin #1 and by
                joining the pistons together you can make a 3 cylinder Gilpin Shay using the
                same Bachmann trucks. A fella in the UK did the 3 cylinder mod a few years
                ago.

                Brian
                Qld. Aust.
                PSC told me today that they don't have any shay trucks in stock and have no
                plans on having them in stock in the future as they have to order them from
                their builder. That is a bummer. Everything I wanted regarding shay parts
                are no longer carried. It's frustrating when you see all the parts in the
                catalog yet they don't carry near as many as are available.

                I have built some 1/32 - 1/35 models based on the HO gauge track and even
                built the models with radio control but the models just seemed a little
                small for what I really want. That is why I opted to go with O scale track
                so I could build a larger model.

                Thanks for the reference on the Shay group. I just found and joined it.

                I think I will just have to come up with some other options. I am not a
                machinist by any means so that pretty much hoses up that idea.

                I appreciate the comments. I can keep on dreaming I guess.

                Travis

                --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, <mrbungalow01@...> wrote:

                > You can still buy any piece direct from PSC, they just have a $25 min. I'd
                > start with a pair of trucks, they have them. all the other parts can be
                > scratched or bashed ,c'mon you can do it!
                > Gil

                ------------------------------------

                Yahoo Groups Links

                -----
                No virus found in this message.
              • Brian Rumary
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 7, 2014
                  On 06/01/2014 22:15, Brian wrote:
                  > there is one
                  > Yahoo group dedicated to building shays etc.

                  Do you mean this one?

                  Brian Rumary
                  England
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 7, 2014
                    That is for live steam, large scale models. However, it may have info on how Shays, etc. are built. Being a Yahoo group, one would need to be accepted to see the site...just like this one.

                    Woodie

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 7, 2014
                      No Brian, I think it was just called "Shay Builders" or something like that,
                      it was just a group of modellers who build shays in either live steam of
                      models in any scale.

                      Brian
                      Qld. Aust.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 7, 2014
                        Sorry my mistake, this is the group I use to belong to, these fella's will
                        be able to help you.

                        Brian
                        Qld. Aust.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 11, 2014
                          Okay fella's what are you up to, in your modelling projects, has anyone done
                          anything of interest lately?

                          Brian
                          Qld. Aust.
                        • Geoff Potter
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 11, 2014
                            Hi Brian,
                            I am working on an On30 industrial micro layout. I have committed to showing it at the beginning of March. I do intend to do some 1/35th modelling next however,
                            cheers
                            Geoff Potter

                            On Sunday, 12 January 2014 12:22 AM, Brian <rallim56@...> wrote:

                            Okay fella's what are you up to, in your modelling projects, has anyone done
                            anything of interest lately?

                            Brian
                            Qld. Aust.

                          • Hans Hammarsten
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 11, 2014
                            • 1 Attachment
                            • 2.3 MB
                            Hi all,
                            I finely got started after a long absence of modeling trains and stuff.
                            My loco shed is going to be done, at least I've started to cast roof tiels for it
                            and this might take some time until I get the hang of it.

                            But there's some Sci Fi modeling to still on my bech waiting
                            Cheers
                            Hans Hammarsten

                          • jacqdamen@ymail.com
                            Message 14 of 16 , Jan 12, 2014
                              presently the final painting and weathering of an O&K MD02 open cab loco from Hesketh Models.
                              RC controled with a special chassis from THe Modelworks Australia
                              I have started with 6 skips from Mark and Bernard,  cleaning, aplying rivets and deburring.
                              Also preparing for resistance soldering.

                              With a number of other modelers a 1:35 project has been started.
                              Each of us will built a module and 2 end boxes. It is possible to arrange all modules into a layout for exhibitions. Drawings and a mock-up of a module and a box  have been made. The set up allows a large scale of freedom in module length, depth and  track positions.
                              Details will follow when I understand how to add photo's etc. to this yahoo groups.

                              Jacq Damen
                            • gaz410
                              Message 15 of 16 , Jan 13, 2014
                                Jacq:
                                Sounds very interesting. I think I speak for many when I say that we cannot wait to see loco, skips and modules - even if it is still in progress. Sounds like a major undertaking in 1:35!

                                Message 16 of 16 , Jan 13, 2014
                                  Hello Brian
                                  On my workbench is a military lorry in 1:35, a 3D-printed Schöma loco with gas generator, while the two bogie flats were put away before Christimas due to minor frustrations (which have mostly cured by now, though).

                                  I have recently made a list of all the minor things I need to do on my modules before an exhibition in the fall. There is everything from a lot of dust to be removed, grass and flowers to be planted, doors in the loco shed, adding of lights and a switch stand. A lot of small projects that will probably be done as 'sideshows' during summer.

                                  As many have done, I have also ordered several sets of skips from Hesketh & Snoodyk. They will eventually replace my Scale Link skips (that will be relegated to reserve duty).

                                  I hope to be able to show some progress on http://nystrupgravel.blogspot.dk/ soon.

                                  Best regards from snowy Copenhagen