Just added some photos of my WW1 themed modules

  • rd_etropal
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 15, 2013
      photos of my Place de La Victoire mini layout uploaded. Intension is to exhibit as much as possible during 2014, all invites will be considered as module is easy to transport and set up(put on a table, connect up transformer, put train on track and ready).
    • Hans Hammarsten
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 15, 2013
        I think it looks realy nice, I have a few MiniArt kit that's going to be used on my layout, if I ever get there *:-O förvånad

        Cheers
        Hans

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 17, 2013
          It is a bit ironic to pull the train with a heavily armored Simplex and then let the poor troops travel in a very exposed toastrack coach, but this seems perfectly representative of military thinking at the time..
        • Stephen
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 17, 2013

            Not really ironic. World War One was an era where it was considered normal to have thousands of soldiers climb out of trenches and attack the enemy by running across an  open field strung with barbed wire while under fire by artillery and machine guns. The technological elements are harder to replace than soldiers as these devices have to be deliberately manufactured to order. But soldiers are plentiful and easily replaced from the civilian population since the latter are always reproducing their own kind and at their own expense, too.

            More and more I am convinced that war is nature's way of keeping the human population down to a reasonable level with respect to the capacity of this planet to house and feed them all. Sort of a retroactive birth control.

            Stephen

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 17, 2013
              I should have added that the year is 1919, so railways are being used to clear up the mess. The Place de La Victoire module can be switched to other time periods just by changing the road(?) vehicles.

              --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen" <auslend@...> wrote:

              > Not really ironic. World War One was an era where it was considered normal
              > to have thousands of soldiers climb out of trenches and attack the enemy by
              > running across an open field strung with barbed wire while under fire by
              > artillery and machine guns. The technological elements are harder to replace
              > than soldiers as these devices have to be deliberately manufactured to
              > order. But soldiers are plentiful and easily replaced from the civilian
              > population since the latter are always reproducing their own kind and at
              > their own expense, too.
              >
              > More and more I am convinced that war is nature's way of keeping the human
              > population down to a reasonable level with respect to the capacity of this
              > planet to house and feed them all. Sort of a retroactive birth control.
              >
              > Stephen
              >

              > _____

            • Paul
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 17, 2013
                In reality the WWI NG railways had very very few passengers wagons/coaches
                because wagons need to be multi-purpose - nothing to do with the prevailing
                military thinking. Ammunition was the main traffic but there were also
                bulky trench and engineer stores in addition to the stuff required to keep
                the railway open - stone and railway material.

                Personnel (healthy and injured) were fitted around these loads. There was
                no way the army/railway could afford to have single use wagons sitting
                around requiring space and maintenance let alone armoured passenger wagons.

                Paul

                1a. Re: Just added some photos of my WW1 themed modules
                Posted by: "Lenelg" len_elg@... lenelg
                Date: Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:28 am ((PDT))

                It is a bit ironic to pull the train with a heavily armored Simplex and then
                let the poor troops travel in a very exposed toastrack coach, but this seems
                perfectly representative of military thinking at the time..
              • Geoff Potter
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 17, 2013
                  Lennart and Paul,

                  here is a US regimental history on WW1 Light railway engineers from the Wayback Machine.
                  Probably complete overkill on the level of detail you may require, but some good technical articles and photographs here.

                  An historical & technical biography of the Twenty-first engineers, light railway. United States Army (1919)

                  Also there are many great photos of light railway operations (mostly France) on the Australian War Memorial Collection database, including some very interesting Egyptian light railway images from Serapeum.

                  Specify WW1 in the conflict field. Try searching terms like "light railway", "simplex" etc.

                  I hope this is of some help,

                  regards
                  Geoff Potter

                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 22, 2013

                    just made the 1/35 versions of both Simplexes and a 1/32 version of the Protected version available on Shapeways

                    https://www.shapeways.com/shops/Recreation21

                    As can be seen in photos on my layout they are designed to capture the spirit of the real loco, and please don't count the rivets!

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 21, 2013
                        Sounds interesting. Will be watching your progress.

                        Best regards

                        Claus, Copenhagen