Re: Fire engine and Packard 12 in 1:35

  • Stephen
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 14, 2013

      Claus,

      I do not mind the fiddly parts. That seems to be the way the modeling industry is going. Those parts that are inside the vehicle and not visible when completed I simply delete. Model airplane enthusiasts seem to love the 350+ parts they find in their 1/32 aircraft kits. Again, delete, delete, delete.

      What I find frustrating is that I model fire engines in 1/24 and 1/25 scale. 1/35 is just too small and I have to let them go by.

      Stephen

    • Claus
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 15, 2013
        Stephen
        You are on the right track there in my eyes. I alså don't fit details to lorry engines if it's not going to show on the finished model. On the Bedford O I didn't fit the engine at all. I now have a very nice Perkins diesel for a future project.

        But some of the tiny pieces have to be assembled and the idea of making the upper part of a car (the ICM Opel Kapitän) in 14 pieces rather than one (Tamiya Citroen TA) seems crazy.

      • Stephen
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 15, 2013

          Claus,

          If you really want to drive yourself nutz with fiddly little parts try making a paper card model of an army tank with every track piece to be cut out and folded and glued in place. Just the thought of it drives me screaming out into the storm.

          Last I heard there was a decal brought out in Germany for 1/32 scale aircraft models that has the aluminum manufacturers markings on the original sheets of aluminum for the insides of the German airplanes where they were not painted. No one will ever see that when it is assembled, but the builder will know it is there.  Well, who am I to say?