Re: More 1:32 stuff on Shapeways

  • rd_etropal
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 25, 2013
      When I started I tried to make models with sides too thin but they got rejected. The minimum is about 1mm, and that is strong enough. It might be possible to print thinner with other plastics but the basic cheapest offered by Shapeways is good enough for me.
      Thing is to remember3d printing started out as a prototyping tool, so expect a bit if trial and error.

      --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "ernstpfeffer" <ernst.pfeffer@...> wrote:

      > I just talked to a friend of mine who bought a version of this locomotive in 1:87. He complaints the material to be so thin, that he has to reinforce it to use the model. This means to me that the "more of material" in 1:35 scale probably will not be a problem but may be very helpful...
      >
      > Ernst
      >

      > --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, Ernst Gmx Pfeffer <ernst.pfeffer@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I think you are right. Let's wait and see. I will try to post photos as soon as I'll have my model at home.
      > >

      > > Am 25.07.2013 um 01:17 schrieb rd_etropal <rue_d_etropal@>:
      > >
      > > > I had to look twice when I saw the price and realised it was for the more expensive material. i would be interested to see how thick the material is in some of the other models as they look like up-sized versions of the O scale ones.

    • Brian
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 29, 2013
        This came through on another group I am on:

        "A posting was made to the UK NGRM On-line modelling group of a listing of O & K locos world-wide.
        Once the info loads up, the search box in the lower RH corner allows more specific searches. Typing
        in "Australia" listed 9 locomotives and the individual pages where the specific info can be
        accessed.
        http://www.docstoc.com/docs/document-preview.aspx?doc_id=112837709
        Graeme"

        Brian
        Qld. Aust.
      • ernstpfeffer
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 4, 2013
          Hello,

          I got my ordered shapeways model two days ago. It is the little Schoema with wood carburator in 1:35 (also available in 1:32).

          I am very impressed about the detailing level. Radiator, gaspipes and carburator all stand alone. The material, FUD, seems to be quite solid. I opened a new album "Schoema woodgas" with some photos, quickly taken yesterday.

          The designer of it, "engineer", has created some more very interesting models, f.e. the famous WW II German HF 50 B. I will ask him to scale this in 1:35 as well.

          Regards
          Ernst

          --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "ernstpfeffer" <ernst.pfeffer@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I asked "engineer" to scale down the lovely Schoema-woodcarburator-loco to 1:35 - and he did. Might be interesting for some of you:
          >
          > https://www.shapeways.com/model/1228976/feldbahn-holzvergaserlok-schoma-1-35.html?materialId=61&li=ostatus
          >
          > I have already ordered one :-)
          >
          > Ernst
          >

          > --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "rd_etropal" <rue_d_etropal@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Tom , it as your stuff and your suggestions on software that encouraged me to design my own models. That first design by T3design looks interesting but would be even nicer if could be motorized. Sometimes difficult to see why some models cost a lot more, and wonder if designs could be simplified to reduce cost. Even so still within price range expected for this scale.
          > >
          > > --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "tom" <tebeeb@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Was looking at what other people were doing on Shapeways these days and found a lot of 1:32 stuff by T3Design
          > > >
          > > > http://shpws.me/owyR
          > > >
          > > > http://shpws.me/oA8Q
          > > >
          > > > http://shpws.me/oA95
          > > >
          > > > http://shpws.me/oAeO
          > > >
          > > > http://shpws.me/oA9j
          > > >
          > > > Tom

        • Hans Hammarsten
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 4, 2013
          Hello Ernst,
          Your Schöma looks realy good, a week ago I got my Gminder 1/32.
          I will probably order some more, I think your loco loks a bit better then mine
          as mine is a different material.

          Best regards
          Hans

          I got my ordered shapeways model two days ago. It is the little Schoema with wood carburator in 1:35 (also available in 1:32).

          I am very impressed about the detailing level. Radiator, gaspipes and carburator all stand alone. The material, FUD, seems to be quite solid. I opened a new album "Schoema woodgas" with some photos, quickly taken yesterday.

          The designer of it, "engineer", has created some more very interesting models, f.e. the famous WW II German HF 50 B. I will ask him to scale this in 1:35 as well.

          Regards
          Ernst

          --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "ernstpfeffer" <ernst.pfeffer@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I asked "engineer" to scale down the lovely Schoema-woodcarburator-loco to 1:35 - and he did. Might be interesting for some of you:
          >
          > https://www.shapeways.com/model/1228976/feldbahn-holzvergaserlok-schoma-1-35.html?materialId=61&li=ostatus
          >
          > I have already ordered one :-)
          >
          > Ernst
          >

          > --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "rd_etropal" <rue_d_etropal@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Tom , it as your stuff and your suggestions on software that encouraged me to design my own models. That first design by T3design looks interesting but would be even nicer if could be motorized. Sometimes difficult to see why some models cost a lot more, and wonder if designs could be simplified to reduce cost. Even so still within price range expected for this scale.
          > >
          > > --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, "tom" <tebeeb@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Was looking at what other people were doing on Shapeways these days and found a lot of 1:32 stuff by T3Design
          > > >
          > > > http://shpws.me/owyR
          > > >
          > > > http://shpws.me/oA8Q
          > > >
          > > > http://shpws.me/oA95
          > > >
          > > > http://shpws.me/oAeO
          > > >
          > > > http://shpws.me/oA9j
          > > >
          > > > Tom

        • Claus
          Message 5 of 16 , Aug 5, 2013
            Hi Ernst
            Thanks a lot for making images of the 3D Schoema available. I can only echo what Hans said of the model. It looks fine, although the transparent material makes it hard to gauge the surface structure. But I have seen what I need to see. I'm convinced enough to buy a model myself.

            Yesterday afternoon I even checked my wartime Danish handbook on how to mount and operate gas generators. I am now updated as to what size the wood will have to be chopped to work best in the generator, how to light the fire at the beginning of the work day and a lot of other trivial points regarding gas generators (not to forget that the gas from the generator is highly toxic – never start the generator indoor!).

            Even checked some of my old photographs from the Oekoven museum, where a preserved loco like Ernst's model is preserved. Is the loco at Oekoven operational, Ernst?

          • Ernst Gmx Pfeffer
            Message 6 of 16 , Aug 5, 2013
              Dear Claus,

              I don't know wether you can read a bit of German ? The pioneer in Woodgas was Mr. Imbert, who produced most of the ones used in Germany, as well as the one of the Schoema. Here are some interesting pages about his work, at least the drawings should be of interest for you:

              Happy research :-)
              Ernst

              Message 7 of 16 , Aug 6, 2013
                Ernst
                I read and speak German while my written German isn't much to celebrate! I Denmark German is introduced in 7 th. grade. Thanks for the links that complemented my Danish book on the subject. I have the resin kit of a Imbert gas generator from Calibre 35. A very nice kit that is designed for the Opel Blitz lorry. With a bit of adjustment it will fit any lorry from the period.

                I have ordered a Schöma from Shapeways. I'm looking forward to try this style of modelling. I imagine that there will be some work involved in getting the model ready for painting even though your images look very promising.

              • Ernst Gmx Pfeffer
                Message 8 of 16 , Aug 6, 2013
                  Dear all,

                  here are two different models of the famous WW II German Army Dieselloco HF 50:

                  https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=HF+50+in+1%3A35

                  As I am happy with the Schoema from the same designer I will give it a chance as well.

                  (By the way - I do not know the designer personally nor do I have any financial interests in the hole thing.)

                  Regards
                  Ernst
                • ernstpfeffer
                  Message 9 of 16 , Aug 17, 2013
                    I have recently received both my models from shapeway:

                    it is the original version of the HF 50 with the low cab for bunker use and a post war civilized version with a higher cab, used on the forest network in Reichraming. This loco is preserved in austria now.

                    a have uploaded 8 photos of these to my "schoema woodgas" file. Have a look !

                    I must say I am as happy with these models as I was with the shoema. Even the very outstanding brake lever is perfectly modelled.

                    Regards
                    Ernst

                    --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, Ernst Gmx Pfeffer <ernst.pfeffer@...> wrote:

                    > Dear all,
                    >
                    > here are two different models of the famous WW II German Army Dieselloco HF 50:
                    >

                    > https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=HF+50+in+1%3A35
                    >

                    > As I am happy with the Schoema from the same designer I will give it a chance as well.
                    >
                    > (By the way - I do not know the designer personally nor do I have any financial interests in the hole thing.)
                    >

                    > Regards
                    > Ernst

                  • Claus
                    Message 10 of 16 , Aug 20, 2013
                      Hi Ernst
                      The models look good. I am looking forward to see them primed - not to mention fitted with wheels and engines!