aerial photographs as modelling info

  • Claus
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2013
      Hi all
      In Denmark we are fortunate to have a large archive of aerial photographs of ordinary buildings and industries. A digitalization of the collection has begun. See http://nystrupgravel.blogspot.dk/2013/07/nystrup-seen-from-air.html for a nice image of a gravel company not unlike Nystrup Gravel.

      Many a model has not been built because I have spent time gazing at brick works, gas works, gravel pits, ship yards and railway stations photographed from the air from 1930 til 1960. I have admired immaculately kept gardens, seen clothes drying on clothes lines and wondered at the fact that people in those days were growing vegtables right next to a municipal gas works.

      A lot can be learnt from the images and modellers use them to get a better feel for the countryside and how buildings were arranged in both towns and in rural areas. A wonderful ressouce.

      Best regards

      Claus, Copenhagen (in for a Dane the sweltering heat of 25 degrees celsius)
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 24, 2013

            Beautiful shot!
            You are very Lucky.

            I also did some research here in Holland during the ´90s where KLM has an archive built up by systemmatic photographing every square meter of Holland, from the air, and since 1927.
            It was amazing!
            Now I think may be time to get back there and take a new look. In 20 years my interests and preferences have changed a lot so I´m sure i will see a lot I didn´t then.

           Thank you for wakeing me up!

        Daniel