Re: [FS32NGModelrail] Bedford progress and monorail

  • Brian Rumary
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2013
      On 07/07/2013 20:29, Claus wrote:
      > On a trip with the family I managed to get a glimpse of some small monorail systems used in wine production. You can check a few images onhttp://nystrupgravel.blogspot.dk/2013/07/monorail-in-mosel.html

      Very interesting. There used to be a few 600mm gauge conventional
      railway systems in the bigger vineyards along the Moselle and I
      travelled on one of them once, although by then it was out of use and
      about to be dismantled. The vines were planted in terraces up the
      hillside, with these railways running at different levels, linked by
      gradients.

      I believe that many of the modern monorails use "rails" that are in fact
      square section steel tube, with a form of rack traction. The "rack" is
      in the form of a length of corrugated steel sheet welded to the
      underside of the tubular rail to form a sort of rack, with a traction
      wheel with large teeth to engage with the corrugated "rack teeth". The
      rails often climb at very steep gradients, with the "trains" climbing up
      them like a monkey up a pole!

      --
      Brian Rumary
      England
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 14, 2013

        The rack monorails are current technology. In Japan they are produced by a number of companies including this one which claims to have invented the system:

        http://www.nikkari.co.jp/english/products/monorack/index.html

        They have agents in Europe so wondering if the systems in Germany and Italy derive from Japanese originals? Agents:

        http://www.monrail.com/it/index.html

        Can someone explain what holds them on the rail?

        Cheers

        John P

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 14, 2013
          John

                Very interesting post. Thank you for sharing.

                This page has severa+l very interesting films by the company producing the ra ck systems

          Daniel