SV: [FS32NGModelrail] Bedford progress and monorail

  • Hans Hammarsten
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2013
      Hi Claus,
      always nice to see your pictures *:) glad
      Love the little monorail.

      I did a small trip to Mallorca on my vacation, here's a video I made from my trip on the Ferrocarril de Soller.'

      Best regards
      Hans

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 8, 2013
        On 07/07/2013 20:29, Claus wrote:
        > On a trip with the family I managed to get a glimpse of some small monorail systems used in wine production. You can check a few images onhttp://nystrupgravel.blogspot.dk/2013/07/monorail-in-mosel.html

        Very interesting. There used to be a few 600mm gauge conventional
        railway systems in the bigger vineyards along the Moselle and I
        travelled on one of them once, although by then it was out of use and
        about to be dismantled. The vines were planted in terraces up the
        hillside, with these railways running at different levels, linked by
        gradients.

        I believe that many of the modern monorails use "rails" that are in fact
        square section steel tube, with a form of rack traction. The "rack" is
        in the form of a length of corrugated steel sheet welded to the
        underside of the tubular rail to form a sort of rack, with a traction
        wheel with large teeth to engage with the corrugated "rack teeth". The
        rails often climb at very steep gradients, with the "trains" climbing up
        them like a monkey up a pole!

        --
        Brian Rumary
        England
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 14, 2013

          The rack monorails are current technology. In Japan they are produced by a number of companies including this one which claims to have invented the system:

          http://www.nikkari.co.jp/english/products/monorack/index.html

          They have agents in Europe so wondering if the systems in Germany and Italy derive from Japanese originals? Agents:

          http://www.monrail.com/it/index.html

          Can someone explain what holds them on the rail?

          Cheers

          John P

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 14, 2013
            John

                  Very interesting post. Thank you for sharing.

                  This page has severa+l very interesting films by the company producing the ra ck systems

            Daniel