My 1/32 layout

  • Terrapinnut
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 6, 2013
      Hi
      I just uploaded pictures to the pictures file of the two turnouts and the two straight lengths of my version of portable track. I used common portable prototypes to make these two types of turnouts. The type one does not have it's points attached yet and the type two is waiting for a throw bar, I haven't figured how or what material to use yet for the throwbar.
      This code 70 rail is soldered to 1/16 or .060 PC board ties, spaced prototypically apart. I will be using dead rail. I hope to have prototypical ground throws and track work, or as close as possible.
      The straight track was put into a jig to keep the spacing correct and it has scale fishplates and fastening holes in the rail. The dump car is sitting on a 36" long straight length of track, it's like flex track it just doesn't flex. I am very pleased with my CNC'd turnout jig, I took the turnout dimensions and it CNC'd out, it's made of plane old Masonite, any adjustments are done with a file or X-Acto knife
      Gil
    • Geoff Potter
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 6, 2013
        Gil,
        that is some lovely looking trackwork! I had to look up what CNC'd meant, as i am something of a luddite! 8?)

        regards
        Geoff Potter

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 6, 2013
          I have a friend and he can machine anything! I am so lucky
          thanks.
          I also have two other friends into 1/32n2 we call ourselves the three Amigos
          were separated by 1000 miles but we share regularly
          More to come
          Gil

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 7, 2013
            Hi Gil

                  Very noice, neat work there. Knowing your work that is not a surprise.

                  I have uploaded photos of some 200mm radius switches that were made for me by Ernesto Ceriana, an Argentinean modeller. They seem to corresppond to one of your switches. I don´t know which is number one or two for you but anyway I mean the one at the left in your photo.
                  Since mine were made to work under RC too, there was no need to keep rails isolated so the throwbar, as you see, is made from apiece of brass soldered to the top of a PCB strip.
                  Also if I´ve used several of these switches and they work fine, nowadays I would preffer  more prototypical ones with, among other things, a metal rod throwbar. But anyway the system used by Mr. Ceriana works very well.
            The only issue I´ve found is the strong resistance of the code 100 rail to flex and follow the throwbar. That was solved by a strong under the board hand operated mechanism but would be an issue if I would want to use the nice prototypical Decauville point levers I am using for the French layout which ´s base is 3D printed in FUD to be able to reproduce fine detail.
                 That is the second reason why I am not using these switches for my current French layout under construction. (The third reason is I am building this layout for sale so it is also wired for running under DC)

                 Daniel

            --- In mailto:FS32NGModelrail%40yahoogroups.com, Geoff Potter <potgeoff@...> wrote:

            > Gil,
            > that is some lovely looking trackwork! I had to look up what CNC'd meant, as i am something of a luddite! 8?)
            >
            > regards
            > Geoff Potter
            >

            > ________________________________

          • William Uffelman
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 7, 2013
              You make Roy Link proud! NG&IRR had a series on constructing 2' track portable early on. I believe he reptinted the track articles as a booklet.

              Bill Uffelman

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 7, 2013
                Most of the Info I used was from Roy's magazine and publications, thanks.
                Gil

                --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, William Uffelman <ufffam@...> wrote:

                > You make Roy Link proud! NG&IRR had a series on constructing 2' track portable early on. I believe he reptinted the track articles as a booklet.
                >
                > Bill Uffelman
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Terrapinnut
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 7, 2013
                  I am building a modular sectional layout, each module matches the next, their are five of them they currently make a U shape, about 10'x 12' x10 in a second bedroom. My goal is that each leg will stand on its own so that some day when I get a bigger room, I can add modules in-between of the existing. Right now all the turnouts are easy to reach and I plan for all of them to be accessible, I do not want any wires so that I can transport it to a show, that way that will never be an issue, at least that's the plan.
                  There will be more than one type of throw, when these new ones I've found get installed I'll add pictures to my albums
                  thanks for the kind words, I am excited and having fun in 1/32
                  Gil
                  Star Idaho
                  U.S.A.

                  --- In FS32NGModelrail@yahoogroups.com, daniel caso <d.caso@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Gil
                  >
                  >       Very noice, neat work there. Knowing your work that is not a surprise.
                  >
                  >       I have uploaded photos of some 200mm radius switches that were made for me by Ernesto Ceriana, an Argentinean modeller. They seem to corresppond to one of your switches. I don´t know which is number one or two for you but anyway I mean the one at the left in your photo.
                  >       Since mine were made to work under RC too, there was no need to keep rails isolated so the throwbar, as you see, is made from apiece of brass soldered to the top of a PCB strip.
                  >       Also if I´ve used several of these switches and they work fine, nowadays I would preffer  more prototypical ones with, among other things, a metal rod throwbar. But anyway the system used by Mr. Ceriana works very well.
                  > The only issue I´ve found is the strong resistance of the code 100 rail to flex and follow the throwbar. That was solved by a strong under the board hand operated mechanism but would be an issue if I would want to use the nice prototypical Decauville point levers I am using for the French layout which ´s base is 3D printed in FUD to be able to reproduce fine detail.
                  >      That is the second reason why I am not using these switches for my current French layout under construction. (The third reason is I am building this layout for sale so it is also wired for running under DC)
                  >
                  >      Daniel
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Terrapinnut
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 10, 2013
                    I can see the pictures you posted, what is the material on the throw bar?
                    I will be using a very thin piece of brass stock and using a brass dress makers pin with the head filed down for my throw bar, at least that's what I am trying for. With these short turnouts there is a lot of spring in the rails, so the bar will have to be strong. I have used a PC tie in the past for the throwbar, it will work, it just does not look correct, to heavy.
                    I'll post a picture when done
                    Gil

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 10, 2013
                      Gil
                        The throw bar is also a piece of PCBoard with a brass strip filed to take the rail foot and soldered to de PCBoard.
                      They do work good but, yes, they need a strong throw bar and control. I doubt they will work fine with other than hand control due to both, the force to flex the rail and holding the switch in one or the otherposition.

                       I'll  add  a rough sketch of the bent steel wire I used for switching. It is very simple to do because all you need is to make a hole on the PCBoard throuw bar and another half way between the two end positions of the throw bar. Then passing a steel wire forming an S or an U, depending at which side of the w=switch you want your comand.

                        It is very easy to get them working propewrli=y, but it was already a serious consesion to use the flex rail and the second one for the control mech. made me chose for the more prototypical system.

                         Our fellow John Vogelaar built for me a number of such switches, also with a geometry of 200mm radius and isnce then -that was abaoaut 7 or eight years ago- we became good friends.
                      Also added to the album a photo of the remaining switch.
                        I asked John to solder only the needed ties to hold the switch's structure together because wasn't convince about the sleepery and wanted at leas some real ties to be vissible. In the mean time I've got the 3D printed metal sleepers and hope will be using them for my next layout.

                        I'll add also some photos of the not yet ready decauville levers.

                      Daniel

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 10, 2013
                        Gil

                           It's done.
                           I hope it helps.
                           B.t.w.: Alan Brack, who you certainly know from the NGRM Forum, has these 3D printed parts for sale at his Shapeways shop. The parts include the round counterweight and the bush but the lever holdimng the weight to the bush must be done with  0,5brass.
                           The problem is the 0,5mm thick rectangular hole for the lever is actualy a little les than 0,5mm -blame Shapeways technology for that- so I am going to make the weights in brass or may be even in home cast lead (yes, I know lead fuemes are not really good for our health but I asume for the no more than 1 minute that I'll be casting the danger won't be serious. Specialy because I will be doing at the balcony, not indoors.
                           The brass rod I've used is 1mm diameter.

                            The base of the the 'cast iron' point lever mechanism's base is beautifuly following the Decauville design and works great.

                           Daniel