New Guy Here

  • David
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 22, 2013
      All,

      just wanted to introduce myself to everyone. I have manly been interested in On30 for the most part until i saw a couple 1/35 layouts here in the US. I dont know a whole lot about 1/35 scale other than the pictures i've seen online!

      I have no idea where to begin, all i know is i love the look i have seen with people taking the On30 bachmann shays and bashing them with larger head lamps, cabs, etc....i really like that look. Almost a gilpin tram look.

      any and all guidance would be greatly appreciated. im still having a bit of trouble truly understanding the size/scale of the 35n2.

      again, just wanted to introduce myself!

      David Tenney
      Columbus, Ohio, US
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 22, 2013
        Welcome David

        You can do a good start going to Freerails forum and visiting Woodie Green´s thread Mogollon Railway.
        But beware: it is a terribly strong virus and there´s no cure.

        But now you are here, go to the photos section and visit. Woodie´s albums but also Kim marsh and all others. thjere is plenty to see.

        I sugest you first take a look at photos and may be files and then let your questions stream to next messages.

        Enjoy!

        Daniel

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 23, 2013
          David, I have been modeling 1:32 n20 for about 25 years.  I have been in Narrow gauge Gazette a number of times but I am away from home so I will have to give you more specifics later in the week.  I am building a Gilpin like tram line and it is great fun.
          go on line to EBay and search 1:32 scale in toys and hobbies, trains.  Order a 1:32 scale car or truck and  a couple Preiser 1:32 figures.  Slap down a piece of Code 100 HO track, park your car or truck next to it and then add a Bachmann On30 Shay and you will have something to look at and get oriented.  Then change the cab so the 1:32 figure fits and extend the smoke stack.  You can change other things like headlights later. If you can swing the cost, get a 1:32 scale standard gauge car off EBay too and you have everything you need to get your head around the new size.

          HO track in 1:32 = 20 inch in 1:35 I think closer to 24".  If you want 1:35 you will have to adjust a little.  I think there are more RR products in 1:32.  I use plenty of 1:35 items also 1:48 and some larger too, it is all about the item and where you place it in the scene.

          Feel free to contact me off list at gregorywright2002@... for more conversation.

          Greg Wright
          360-352-5386
          Are you prepared for 72 hours?